Installing PSU and video card

In realy life I' am a very nice guy and I used to have a boyfriend that I cared for 5 years but he never kept his promises and he was a lier. But point is I am a nice person.

Ummm, is it just me, or is this a VERY strange thing to say on a forum? It didn't even have anything to do with the topic at hand. Op is definitely just looking for attention.

I knoow just the place to send this /b/rother so he gets all the attention he wants..

LMFAO!

I just don't understand how anybody couldn't follow such common sense stuff, even after like 150 posts. He has to be trolling us or something.

I'll put it as simple as I can, just in case.

Say I had a Geo Metro, and decided I wanted to street race. For ~$5000 I could buy a Mitsubishi Eclipse, and then put very little into it to have a good car. Or I could take the metro and upgrade the engine, transmission, suspension, steering, etc. Which would all cost, let's say, $7000. Even after spending that $7000, I am stuck with a Geo Metro, and I'm sure the Mitsubishi would own it.

You are upgrading the metro.

Fail analogy, I know, but it fits here perfectly. The OP wants his ancient computer to do something today that it was not designed for, even when it was new.

Edit: Google Images saves the day! Now I can put it even simpler.

What you have ->
4dec_12_opt.jpg

what you will end up with after sinking in tons of money ->
Geo1221578670.jpg

What you could have for cheaper ->
2001-Mitsubishi-Eclipse-in-Bright-Red-mitsubishi-eclipse-1769553-640-480.jpg

Well I use to have a around 3 years agao had 3 systems and one was a AMD XP 2500+ 1.8 gHz and it had 512mb ram and a ATI Radeon 9250 AGP card. The other one I original had was a AMD Athlon 64 2.2 ghZ and it had 1 GB ram with a GeForce 7300 GT 128mb ram. The third one was a AMD 64 X2 2.2 gHz with 1 GB ram and had a GeForce 7300 GT 512mb ram and that one I gave to my mom. The other two systems I sold since I needed money for other things. I just kept the one that was a gift and that's the one I' am using right now and it works fine for me but I just wanted to upgrade it to it's best since it was my first system that had Windows XP preinstalled and was affordable. It's long story though.

In realy life I' am a very nice guy and I used to have a boyfriend that I cared for 5 years but he never kept his promises and he was a lier. But point is I am a nice person.

Ummm, is it just me, or is this a VERY strange thing to say on a forum? It didn't even have anything to do with the topic at hand. Op is definitely just looking for attention.
NO NO NO you totaly missunderstood my point. My point was to show that I' am not trying to make you guys upset and be mean or anything since I' am a nice person. I just assumed you guys were thinking I was mean since I keep saying I want to keep this special system that had first Windows XP on it.

Ok, that's it.

DUSTIN: Your computer is terribly outdated. You can put as much money into it as you want, but you are going to see an incredibly small performance increase. Your entire computer is outdated, the only way you are going to see any noticeable performance increase is if you would upgrade literally everything. You can't work with the mother board, and if you upgrade it you're going to need a new processor. After that you're going to most likely need a new case. Then it's going to be bottlenecked by the video card. The HDD will also be a bottleneck.

The most efficient solution (and the only solution that will show any performance increase) is to build another computer. If you want to keep this one, be my guest, but you will not see a reasonable performance increase.

Ok, that's it.

DUSTIN: Your computer is terribly outdated. You can put as much money into it as you want, but you are going to see an incredibly small performance increase. Your entire computer is outdated, the only way you are going to see any noticeable performance increase is if you would upgrade literally everything. You can't work with the mother board, and if you upgrade it you're going to need a new processor. After that you're going to most likely need a new case. Then it's going to be bottlenecked by the video card. The HDD will also be a bottleneck.

The most efficient solution (and the only solution that will show any performance increase) is to build another computer. If you want to keep this one, be my guest, but you will not see a reasonable performance increase.

Quoting for emphasis.

This thread should just be locked. 5 pages of reiterating the same basic advice over again and again. Nothing new can be introduced to this conversation.

Ok I did find out that the Radeon 7000 series uses on this much power.

Power +5V ±5% @ 0.4A typical.
+3.3V ±5% @ 1.4A typical.
+12V ±5% @ 0.3A typical.

So basicly the 150 watt power supply should of worked fine since the video card isn't even using 1A on +12V.

I got this info from ATI website about tech specs for online manual for Radeon series. This is the actualy amount the card uses according to ATI.

I have a feeling you guys are just assuming the specs and don't acutaly know the true specs of products. But eather way I now have a 450 watt PSU so it doesn't matter.

Ok I did find out that the Radeon 7000 series uses on this much power.

Power +5V ±5% @ 0.4A typical.
+3.3V ±5% @ 1.4A typical.
+12V ±5% @ 0.3A typical.

So basicly the 150 watt power supply should of worked fine since the video card isn't even using 1A on +12V.

I got this info from ATI website about tech specs for online manual for Radeon series. This is the actualy amount the card uses according to ATI.

I have a feeling you guys are just assuming the specs and don't acutaly know the true specs of products. But eather way I now have a 450 watt PSU so it doesn't matter.
You have a whole computer to run on 4a, not just the video card. You didn't have any power to spare, that was your problem. So, have fun with your new card.

You're correct. We're all just whipping facts out of our ass. Forget the fact that most of us have far more experience than you, and the fact that we used a simple proven math formula to find the actual wattage of your power supply. You really should stop listening to us. Can you feel the sarcasm? You also seem to forget the age of your components. Ever heard of a thing called capacitor aging? You should look it up. And your power supply is a freaking eMachines PSU. It's junk by most standards.

Seriously, if you are going to accuse me of giving false specs and are going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about (as well as everyone else who has graciously given you plenty of their time helping you with your pitiful computer) then you can just leave. I don't understand what your deal is.

You are saying like a 10 year old TV that still work great is bad and need a new one. There is nothin wrong with this machine. Everyone buys a new TV, Computer, Stereo etc when they stop working. Why buy something when the item still works and can be upgraded or repaired? There are TVs that last 30 years and still work great since they are always repaired and taken caried off.
Dude a Tv from 30 years ago will have CRAP SOUND, NO COLOR, BAD RECEPTION, and most likely won't accept cable. You upgrade it so you can get HD, better sound, actual color, better picture etc.
Why do you buy newer cars? Because sure that piece of S**t runs but eventually it WILL BREAK DOWN.
What does that mean, sure you can keep investing small parts into it to keep it running, but that thing will eventually break.

You guys must be rich to buy new stuff just because it's older than todays. No... Everyone does that.

Look man I'll make an analogy similar to Foothead's.
Think about it
You have a 1988 Honda Accord.
You have $6000.
To keep the car running you need to buy a crapload of gas cause it's a guzzler.
You need to eventually replace suspension, parts of the engine, and the exhaust.
Yes this will amount to about $2000, seemingly saving you $4000 grand.
But eventually you'll have to replace everything so that piece of S**t will run. So the final result will be this: You'll waste MORE than just simply buying a new car. And you won't even have your original 1988 Honda, cause EVERYTHING will have to have been replaced.
Do you understand now?

Back
Top Bottom