Random Chit Chat

^^ They're willing to support Windows XP, but not Mac OS 10.4 - which is currently what I use on my main computer.

That kinda makes sense if you think of it from a business standpoint. If they drop XP, all they would do is lose money because some people wouldn't buy the iPhone. It would, however get more people to buy a new computer with windows 7, which is what they don't want. But if they drop Tiger, it would be enough to push mac users to buy a newer OS or possibly a new computer running 10.6. The profit they make off that would exceed profit lost by people not willing to upgrade OS for a new phone.

I thought apple still supported tiger.
00000335.png

That must be pretty irritating considering it's not even from Apple and it's 4 years older than 10.4.

It is in many respects. There are some nice aspects of Mac OS 10.6 that I use on a daily basis with my iMac that I would love to use on both of my MacBook notebooks - but the idea that one must upgrade simply to use a phone is ludicrous.

New keyboard layout.

e52b3138.jpg

the U and I still need to be switched, but this feels much better than qwerty. Way less movement to type.

It's gonna take some getting used to though. I'm not used to typing dvorak with just my thumbs.

That kinda makes sense if you think of it from a business standpoint. If they drop XP, all they would do is lose money because some people wouldn't buy the iPhone. It would, however get more people to buy a new computer with windows 7, which is what they don't want.

I don't think Apple is concerned with Windows 7 - at least in that aspect. Sales of Windows 7 already far outnumber those of Mac OS 10.6 by leaps and bounds. I'm sure the iPhone audience isn't going to make much of an impact.

But if they drop Tiger, it would be enough to push mac users to buy a newer OS or possibly a new computer running 10.6. The profit they make off that would exceed profit lost by people not willing to upgrade OS for a new phone.

I just think Apple is too lazy to offer backward compatibility.

I don't think Apple is concerned with Windows 7 - at least in that aspect. Sales of Windows 7 already far outnumber those of Mac OS 10.6 by leaps and bounds. I'm sure the iPhone audience isn't going to make much of an impact.

I just think Apple is too lazy to offer backward compatibility.

Maybe. It just seems to me that for whatever reason, it was a smart business move.

They do have a history of lazy driver teams. The multitouch mouse is still causing system instability in Windows...

In that case, I just believe Apple doesn't really give a sh*t regarding Windows support for their Magic Mouse.

Pretty much. They still claim it works on Windows though.

I went to buy one a while back at the apple store, and the guy working there straight up told me 'It will never work right with Windows.' The fact that apple employees have so little faith in the driver team is kinda scary.

Back
Top Bottom