Need some insight on "The Ultimate Computer Desk Project"

You know it's more productive to have two large monitors instead of four smaller monitors spread out?

For most people, yes. But I prefer having extremely high resolutions so I can fit as many windows as possible. My current monitors are all running at 1280x1024, and I will often have ten or more windows open on each monitor. two at 1920x1200 just wouldn't cut it.

Foot, I have the burning question of: Why CRT?

Because they are way cheaper than 120Hz LCDs.

For most people, yes. But I prefer having extremely high resolutions so I can fit as many windows as possible. My current monitors are all running at 1280x1024, and I will often have ten or more windows open on each monitor. two at 1920x1200 just wouldn't cut it.

I doubt you really need that much screen real estate. You're just finding some need to use all four monitors at once.

The last CRT I had messed with my eyes so I bought a Sony X-Brite and sledge-hammered the old CRT.

Well, foot, I don't know why you would go with CRT these days unless you're a VERY serious CAD designer, video editor, etc...

But look around for these two monitors:

Sony F520 GDM-F520 21" 1280x1024@129Hz

Sony G520 CPD-G520 21" 1280x1024@123Hz

Probably very hard to find.

Those would be amazing if I could find them for sale, but idk if I will ever find five of them.

Good Lord, that desk is huge. I don't really want a U shape. I'm a big fan of corner desks.

At the start of my new build ( and while I stay on my current) I'll have two 23 inch LCD monitors. I keep them angled in just a slight bit, so they take up about 30 inches, cumulatively. Of course, there will be tons of space in front and behind them. Later on in the new build, I'll throw in a third monitor, hence why I want a corner desk, I think multiple monitors look bad-ass on corner desks.

The only thing on top I'm planning is the printer on one side, and quite possibly a book shelf / CD rack on the other, or maybe the same side, who knows. I have tons of ideas right now. One side will definitely have some sort of file cabinet on the bottom. I'm pretty sure I will use plywood with some cherry or mahogany color stain. I think about two sheets of plywood, several 4x4s and some 4x2s would work out pretty well. Maybe even 4x8s, I'm paranoid about the desk not having enough support.

EDIT- J beat me to asking you a question... Lol

I missed this post somehow... Sorry about that.

Anyway, if you are going to have three 23" monitors, a bookshelf, and a printer, there will be almost no space left. I would go a bit larger, maybe 6' on each side.

Flight, I like the design of the desk and I really don't think it would be to hard as long as your ok with a saw. I would try finding a cool mill for the table top, but that a personal perference.

I doubt you really need that much screen real estate. You're just finding some need to use all four monitors at once.

To some extent, yes. But when I had two 28" monitors at 1920x1200, I still felt very cramped. I couldn't have more than one browser window open on each monitor without having to scroll sideways. Four just works better for me.

I see this in foot's future:
thinkpad-w701ds.jpg
:D

Then you are extremely inefficient at multitasking. In those rare occasions in which I need to use my HP workstation, I can have multiple windows fit comfortably within a resolution of 2880 x 900.

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/7725/15196163.png

That's nice...

Seriously, why the hell does it make any difference to you if I prefer to have more monitors?

I see this in foot's future:
thinkpad-w701ds.jpg
:D

Lol I would replace the keyboard with a touchscreen LCD. I've been considering adding a second LCD to my Eee tablet, but I just cannot justify the cost of it.

Seriously, why the hell does it make any difference to you if I prefer to have more monitors?

Because my mind needs to find some sort of logic in what you're doing. So far, I'm still at a loss for words as why someone like you requires four monitors.

Back
Top Bottom