Need some insight on "The Ultimate Computer Desk Project"

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Hey, CF.

Right now, I'm in phase one of a project I'm going to call "The Ultimate Computer Desk" (By phase one, I mean planning.)

My question is, should I just skip the whole thing and buy one already made or should I build it myself?

Reason I'm asking this is because I know I could build exactly what I want for a lot less than what I can buy one for, but I'm worried about overall quality and durability of a custom-build.

Anyway, down to the point.

DeskProto.jpg

That is the overhead schematic of the desk I want to build. I feel that much space would be more than adequate for my needs. I need all the desk space I can get, though. I may make one of the ends longer so I can build a bookshelf and disk rack right into the workstation.

Any ideas on how hard that would be to build?

Remember, I would have to build this desk in probably three parts. My computer room/ office is 10' by 10'.

And by the way, this won't only be "The Ultimate Desk Project." If I get the amount of money I'm supposed to within the next month, it will turn into "The Ultimate Computer Project" as well. With the ultimate computer comes the need for the ultimate desk, but I want to build the desk first.

That reminds me of my new desk, except mine has an extra seciton, making it shaped like a U. It's made of particleboard, with a cherry finish. Looks absolutely beautiful when complete, but it was an epic pita to build.

The main things you need to consider are what size/how many monitors, if you are going to have a printer, tv, etc. And if you want extra space for writing and such. Figure up exactly how much space you will need, then add two feet.

Anyway, here is my desk. It is a 6' L, with a 6' bowfront desk on the side.

a21902fc.jpg

I haven't finished it yet, I just threw the monitors up there to take a picture. It still has a hutch for one side and a keyboard tray. I would've put them on when I built it, but construction of this thing was basically Ikea on steroids. I think I took a picture of the parts...

Anyway, my point is that I have a very similar desk, and I could give you some very detailed pictures of how it is constructed if you need.

Found the picture I took.

81b0bf03.jpg

the room is 12'x12', and the parts basically filled it wall to wall. And this is just what I have built. There's a whole extra box sitting in the living room. Most parts are pretty simple, but cutting all of this would be a he'll of a project.

Good Lord, that desk is huge. I don't really want a U shape. I'm a big fan of corner desks.

At the start of my new build ( and while I stay on my current) I'll have two 23 inch LCD monitors. I keep them angled in just a slight bit, so they take up about 30 inches, cumulatively. Of course, there will be tons of space in front and behind them. Later on in the new build, I'll throw in a third monitor, hence why I want a corner desk, I think multiple monitors look bad-ass on corner desks.

The only thing on top I'm planning is the printer on one side, and quite possibly a book shelf / CD rack on the other, or maybe the same side, who knows. I have tons of ideas right now. One side will definitely have some sort of file cabinet on the bottom. I'm pretty sure I will use plywood with some cherry or mahogany color stain. I think about two sheets of plywood, several 4x4s and some 4x2s would work out pretty well. Maybe even 4x8s, I'm paranoid about the desk not having enough support.

EDIT- J beat me to asking you a question... Lol

Why do you have all those monitors?

I multitask a lot.

I use four on my computer, then one is there for playstation/xbox, and the TV is for watching TV and using my atari.

I am eventually going to replace everything with five Sony CRTs. I'm specifically looking for ones capable of operating at 1280x1024@100Hz.

I use four on my computer, then one is there for playstation/xbox, and the TV is for watching TV and using my atari.

You know it's more productive to have two large monitors instead of four smaller monitors spread out?

Well, foot, I don't know why you would go with CRT these days unless you're a VERY serious CAD designer, video editor, etc...

But look around for these two monitors:

Sony F520 GDM-F520 21" 1280x1024@129Hz

Sony G520 CPD-G520 21" 1280x1024@123Hz

Probably very hard to find.

Well, foot, I don't know why you would go with CRT these days unless you're a VERY serious CAD designer, video editor, etc...

Even then, LCD technology has fully matured to the point where it can meet or even exceed the capabilities of CRT monitors in terms of serious design work.

Back
Top Bottom