Learn to use a Mac?

So i have had some prospect clients ask me if im competent in using apple mac's,now i have no experience AT ALL with Mac's so i had to tell them no. This leads me to the realization that alot more people are using mac's so i should become fluent with them!

So my question is,what mac (Keep in mind,the cheaper the better) should i purchase (On ebay) to learn on,something that will still be relevant today?

Also what is with the OS? There are so many different versions...

Re: Learn to us mac?

Most versions of Mac OSX are similar enough that you could get a (cheap or free) G3 iMac with OSX Tiger and you can learn the basics of the OS.

I say that any Mac will work. The OS works all the same on all the Machine... but the greatest quotes I have heard about Apple, "Its a Mac, it should just work even though it is missing a bite out of the Apple."

dude i'm in the same boat i have to start learning the mac os also

There's only two, and they're aimed at completely different markets. That's far better than the five flavors of Windows Vista or Windows 7.

What i mean is,the version,so say my mates mac is running 10.5.7,i might be running 10.6.1 and a client might be running 10.4.3. Will all of these versions be simmilar to use? The last time i used a mac was a black Powermac running OS6 (Possibly 7).

Or are they like updated version of the main OS (Eg 10.6),like a service pack?

It's just like comparing versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. They're all incremental upgrades that occur every 2-3 years which share a similar structure.

I personally have no issue whatsoever switching from Mac OS 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6.

So, 10.6.X,obviously the 10.6 is the version and the X Is just the 'Service Pack' (That's the only way i can think do describe it)?

Also,in relation to the CPU's, i have noticed that some mac's have G3/G4/G5 Processors (There made by motorola?) and the newer ones have Intel Processors,which would be the best to get? Some G5's i have seen have the same clock speed as some of the intel processors.

So, 10.6.X,obviously the 10.6 is the version and the X Is just the 'Service Pack' (That's the only way i can think do describe it)?

No. "X" is the roman numeral for 10, which is the current series of Mac OS. They're all based off a similar code structure, much like how Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 are based on Windows NT.

In layman's terms, Mac OS 10.4, Mac OS 10.5 and Mac OS 10.6 is similar to that of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Anything after 10.x corresponds with the latest update from Apple. For example, my current operating system is currently Mac OS 10.4.11. "10" represents the current code base, "4" represents the variant and "11" represents the latest patch or update.

Also,in relation to the CPU's, i have noticed that some mac's have G3/G4/G5 Processors (There made by motorola?) and the newer ones have Intel Processors,which would be the best to get? Some G5's i have seen have the same clock speed as some of the intel processors.

Stick with Intel. The previous PowerPC chips cannot run anything further than Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard).

Brilliant! That clears up quite alot! I Would give you rep but i need to spread it around. I'll be shopping for a mac on ebay,ill post once i finally have one.

Thanks J!

Back
Top Bottom