Turned Power Off During System Restore :S

raz abbs

Solid State Member
Hi guys.
I'm know very little about computers so, if possible, keep to the simple language please :D

So, here's the situation.

My computer was connected to wireless internet and would randomly disconnect every few days, saying either "Acquiring Network address" or "Limited connection or No connectivity" The only way to solve this was to system restore my computer to a few days earlier.

Saturday evening, internet disconnected so i system restored to day earlier. This didn't work so i system restored to around 12 days earlier.

My computer is VERY slow, by the way so i had to leave it over night (128Mb of RAM <--LOL) In the morning i checked on it. I entered password, clicked OK, then had to leave for an NCO course.

Got back around 8 hours later, the computer was still on a blank black screen, with the cursor in the middle. Left it for half hour or so, tried moving the mouse, worked fine. Ctrl Alt Del, Nothing. Enter, nothing.

So i left it for another few hours and nothing so i turned computer off by power button on front of tower.

Now, when i turn it on it goes through the normal steps until i enter password at which it comes up with the message

"Explorer.EXE - Unable to locate component. -- This application has failed to start because urlmon.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

???
I click OK, and then just a black screen with cursor in the middle.

Sorry for the long post, but i have no idea whatsoever, and would greatly appreciate any info on how to resolve this issue.

Windows cannot locate Explorer.exe, which is the program that controls your desktop. You can try googleing the urlmon.dll putting it on a cd or floppy and reinstall it by booting into a command prompt, but every time I try this it never works. If it was me, I would just reformat and reinstall Windows.

-Alex-

You can try googleing the urlmon.dll putting it on a cd or floppy and reinstall it by booting into a command prompt
^^ Don't do that. Rather attempt a repair install of Windows or just wipe and reinstall. The former will still enable you to get at your data though - so if you've got anything on there you want to keep that's the route I'd recommend.

Why is it a bad idea to just grab the dll? Three main reasons, chances are it's not just that that's causing the problem - you could replace that and get a million other error messages along the same lines but with different files. Then you could replace them all and it still might be broken due to something wrong underneath.

Secondly, unless you know the exact version of the dll you're replacing, you can do much more harm than good.

And lastly, many of these free dll sites give you out spyware-ridden or just plain corrupt dlls, even if the version does match exactly.

thanks oth of you for replying.

I really don;t want to format, as i'm getting a laptop next week when i get paid, so i need to get data, just music really to transfer across.
When my dad's computer messed up, he removed harddrive and used my computer to transfer data. Could i not do this? Remove my HDD, plug it into his computer transfer to an external harddrive?

Yes you can do that. You'll need to change the dip switches on the back (depending on how old the comp is) to set your harddrive to slave but should have no trouble after that.

You'll need to change the dip switches on the back (depending on how old the comp is) to set your harddrive to slave
The pinout for how to do this should be written somewhere on the drive - sometimes it's a sticker on the top. Don't be afraid to try it and see if it works, you're not going to damage the drive if the switches are wrong (it just might not work until you set them correctly!)

ok so I've just tried to boot from two different windows XP cd's. neither of which made the slightest difference. The computer still acted exactly as if it was booting from HDD.

ok so I've just tried to boot from two different windows XP cd's. neither of which made the slightest difference. The computer still acted exactly as if it was booting from HDD.

You need to go into your BIOS and change the device boot order. When your computer first starts up, it will quickly flash a screen that says hit (X key) to go into Setup, you need to press or hold down that key, and find the setting that shows you the boot order (it sounds like Hard Drive is first, CD may be second or third), and move your CD drive to the top of the list.

Back
Top Bottom