Weekly Maintenance

gmcrepair

BSOD
So, What do you guys do for general Maintenance?
Every week I,
  • CCleaner
  • Clean the Registry
  • Defrag
  • Virus Scan
  • Disk Cleanup

One a week? Dang! What do you do with your machine and where do you browse man? :p

Anyways, I ran Malwarebytes a few weeks ago on both my main rig and laptop, the first time in a year maybe.

I defrag occasionally when I need to which isn't very often.

One a week? Dang! What do you do with your machine and where do you browse man? :p

Anyways, I ran Malwarebytes a few weeks ago on both my main rig and laptop, the first time in a year maybe.

I defrag occasionally when I need to which isn't very often.

Well Facebook get's a lot of use!
:p
But yeah, once a week is good practice.

I Ccleaner my computer every time right before I shutdown. I defrag once a week and Virus and Malware scan once a month.

Nothing really.
+1.

Don't you find it gets slow?
Well, I'm running Linux, so let's see. Viruses just aren't an issue as long as you're sensible. XFS never needs defragging. CCleaner is pretty unnecessary even if it did exist for Linux. And there's no registry to get corrupted or stuffed full of crap. As for disk cleanup, I haven't got anything leaving random rubbish all over the place so why do I need it?

Starts up and runs as smoothly as the day I installed it (couple of years back.)

;)

That said, on my Windows machine I still don't do a lot. Being windows I wipe / reinstall every year or so as a matter of course and it doesn't see heavy usage, so I've never run into any registry issues / fragmentation problems. Unless you're doing something seriously wrong, your weekly actions are most likely overkill!

Do you think? I thought it was good practice.

Not really, and definitely not that often. Only thing defragging every week is going to do is heavily thrash your disk lots, potentially reducing its life significantly. Only thing that I'd even think about doing once a week is running a virus scan. I'd personally drop the rest back to once a month absolute minimum (6 months for defragging.) Disk cleanup is more for reclaiming disk space than for performance reasons as well, so unless you're running out of disk space weekly...:)

Back
Top Bottom