Acer laptop fan VERY inconsistent

abowlofrice

Daemon Poster
Hello all,

I have an acer laptop bought september of 2009 so it is fairly new. here are the specs:

core 2 duo t6600
4gig memory
nvidia gefore gt 130m
250gb hdd

my question is, whenever im playing games and the fan turns on to relieve the heat, it does in a very inconsistent manner. the fan does bursts. here is an imitation: vrooom pause vrooom pause vroooooooooooooooom pause. the pauses are very short. its suppose to be VROOOOOOOOOOOM the whole way through. due to the inconsistency, my laptop often overheats while playing games and the whole thing just shuts off. its getting very annoying especially now since its summer and the shut downs are happening more and more often.

please help. I've tried speedfan but i dont think my motherboard supports that program. As always, acer support is bad so i really don't want to resort to that (they probably couldnt help anyway).

thanks all

Well, has your Laptop got a "silent mode"?
Reason I say this is because quite a few Laptops do recently, and when this is on it does it you say it just blasts out bits of heat and then switches the machine down due to it overheating.

looked in the bios, there are barely any information. not the typical bios. not even temperatures of cpu. absolutely no overclocking ability and i did not see any settings related fans.

looked in the bios, there are barely any information. not the typical bios. not even temperatures of cpu. absolutely no overclocking ability and i did not see any settings related fans.

How long is it before the fans come on?...and how long after that before it switches off?

How long is it before the fans come on?...and how long after that before it switches off?

depends, if im just surfing the web, then the fan is at the normal CONSISTENT speed. when im playing games, it starts to perform high intensity bursts. when i touch the part that houses the cpu or graphics, it is pretty damn hot and i know it will soon shut off if i dont give it a break.

never buying acer again.

Ok, Go to the control panel and then power options,find the power plan you are on and then click on 'Change plan settings',now click 'change advanced power settings' and go down the list and expand 'processor power management' and then expand 'system cooling policy',are both 'on battery' and 'plugged in' set to active?

If not,change them to active.

If this doesnt help,have you tried updating your chipset drivers?

Back
Top Bottom