new hard disk western digital

Dav path

Beta member
Hi,
ever since I bought the western digital SATA/internal disk (model: WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0 green caviar). My XP (service pack 3) computer is being rebooting itself randomly and without any warning and after it boots itself again it prompts me about a "system fatal error". :confused:
Now, I have checked the system events and the error code is the following:

Error code 1000008e

Now, I do not have any doubt that the new hard disk is causing these failures, but my question is: Do I need to throw this hard disk into the garbage and buy a new one/better one from another brand. Or ...... is there a solution for this, like,.. firmware upgrades or something that a "software" may resolve.

please let me know
thanks

Ok, here's what I derived: You have installed WinXP on the drive, and it is brand new. It seems like a hardware failure.

Here's my suggestions:
1: Check the disk by My Computer>right click drive>properties>Tools tab> check disk, and select the lower option.
2: Reinstall Windows
3: It is most likely a hardware failure, nothing you can do but send it in to get a replacement.

Did the drive come with any software to check for drive stability?

If you suspect the drive, go to Western Digital's site and download their drive fitness utility. That will fully test the drive and inform you of any problems. If it is failing, you can then apply for an RMA from them and get a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom