Karl Marx

If this had happened during the Bush administration, it would already be fixed.

Know why? Bush didn't have a bunch of liberal whack-job paper pushers. He had a get-shit-done-and-get-it-done-now crew. He would have had the military all over that oil well since day one blocking every single drop of oil leaking from that well, and it probably would have been plugged within the first week.

I can almost guarantee you that Dubya would have used the nuke option. I'm 110 percent for using a nuke.

He was smarter than what most people say he was.

your absoloutly kidding me right , the Bush Adminstration may have sent the military to sort this out but they wouldnt have done much that BP arent already doing , you think BP are just sitting there on their hands doing nothing whilst millions of dollars worth of oil pisses out of their pipeline into the sea

I think the oil spill is in part Obama's fault. And no, I don't mean he did anything to cause it, but he destroyed any chance we had to clean it up or protect our state (I live in Louisiana). The state of Louisiana was originally going to dredge up the barrier islands that were destroyed in hurricane Katrina, which would have blocked most of the oil from reaching the coast. It would also have given us a bit of our storm protection back as long as it lasted, but that really was not the reasoning. For almost a month, they denied us the right to do this, because of "environmental consequences." then when it was already too late, they gave permission to do half of the areas we needed to. So yeah, our wetlands are now destroyed, because apparently making a sandbar is somehow worse for the environment.

He also sent a team of prosecutors to go investigate this oil spill, and to file criminal charges against anyone they deemed responsible. This sounds good and all, but after that point, things
just got gridlocked like crazy, making the recovery efforts pretty much come to a halt.

Now I entirely agree that BP is responsible for this incident, but blocking us from attempting to save what is left our wetlands while doing nothing about it is absolutely inexcusable.

Then there is his ban on drilling. How the hell is this supposed to help the economy? All that is going to happen is America is going to import even more oil. This was clearly an isolated incident, and BP was not following safety code, so why must the other companies who do follow the laws pay for it as well?

Btw, I am not trying to start any arguments here. Please let's respect everyone's opinions.

One more thing - this thread has become epically off topic. Perhaps we should start a new thread to discuss the oil spill?

13466_1357131729003_1252770298_3091.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yghFBt-fXmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLvT3yOF70

Went from Karl Marx to Oil Spill? Interesting.

I'll chime in with this comment then:

If this had happened during the Bush administration, it would already be fixed.

Know why? Bush didn't have a bunch of liberal whack-job paper pushers. He had a get-shit-done-and-get-it-done-now crew. He would have had the military all over that oil well since day one blocking every single drop of oil leaking from that well, and it probably would have been plugged within the first week.

I can almost guarantee you that Dubya would have used the nuke option. I'm 110 percent for using a nuke.

He was smarter than what most people say he was.

Yay a really great post on this thread. Obama has done almost nothing towards cleaning up the oil spill. First, the government said that they would bring fire buoys (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) to light the oil on fire, we believed it but they never came. Then they said the ACoE would build miles of wall that could suck up the oil, which never came in time. Then they said they would cover it with buoys but many miles of buoy is still in warehouses unused. Three days after the spill the Dutch promised us skippers to clean up the oil but we didn't repeal the law that prevented them from helping.

Now the president claims that we need a ban on oil drilling for six months. If there's a plane crash do we ban everyone from using planes for six months? If someone dies in a car crash do we prevent anyone from driving a car for six months? The president is just using this incident to advance his already unpopular agenda of green energy.

As for the nuclear option, it's a great idea and should have been used in the beginning. Any viable solution was blocked or not used even if it could have stopped the spill. Liberals complain that nukes will "pollute the water". So oil will not damage the water but one nuke will. I'm not saying fire 15 ICBMs at the oil but who is? A few fish dying that would have died because of the oil is not a big loss. Any marine life that would be in the area would have died because of the spill! So stop trying to get us to use CFL lightbulbs and save water and get stuff done!

Banning oil while giving Petrobras in Brazil 2 billion dollars to drill away isn't going to help! For every green job you want to create we lose 2.6 regular jobs! You are going to cost 10,000 jobs in Lousiana which is already struggling while giving money to Brazil to drill! Who is that going to help in an already struggling economy! Stuff like this is the reason why you're approval rating isn't what it used to be!

^ Obama didn't have the authority to set that ban on drilling in the first place. Governor Jindal took it to court because it is hurting Louisiana's economy even worse, and it ruled in his favor.

There is no way Obama will give in that easily though. I give it a month before he manages to halt drilling again through some sort of loophole or exploit. It's ridiculous really.

^ Obama didn't have the authority to set that ban on drilling in the first place. Governor Jindal took it to court because it is hurting Louisiana's economy even worse, and it ruled in his favor.

There is no way Obama will give in that easily though. I give it a month before he manages to halt drilling again through some sort of loophole or exploit. It's ridiculous really.

Obama already appealed the Federal Judge's ruling that struck down the ban.

Obama already appealed the Federal Judge's ruling that struck down the ban.

Of course he did. Still, he cannot cite anything that gives him the power to implement such a ban, so I don't think it will be overturned unless the judge is very biased. I have a feeling that he will soon move on to more "creative" measures to stop drilling.

I am not saying this is true, since I do not know the man, but it seems a bit to me like Obama wanted the oil to reach land, because then it would make it much easier to stop drilling. I just cannot come up with any other reason for him to deny the states the right to protect their coasts while he didn't do crap about it. Again, I hope this isn't true, and someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Back
Top Bottom