Low Wireless Signal Help

nick3681

Beta member
I have an Inspiron 1545 that will absolutely not connect to my home network due to a "low wireless signal". Even when I put the laptop right next to the router it will not connect. I contacted Dell Support and they determined it is not a computer problem but possibly a router problem through a series of system checks and tests. On occassion, the 1545 WILL connect but it is very rare.

The router is a NetGear WNR834b v2. The wierd thing is that I also have an Inspiron 1720 that I have had for a few years and have had no problems connnecting to the same router.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

your wireless adapter is going out try getting an external wireless adapter and seeing if that fixes the problem

Before buying an external adapter, make sure you drivers are up to date on the laptop. Go to Dell's site and download the latest wireless drivers. Then take all the security off of the router. Sometime wireless cards don't support some kinds of wireless security. If you are able to connect with no security, then you can try increasing the security until you find the most secure that it will support. You can also try taking the laptop to another place with wirless (a coffee shop or friend/family's house) and seeing if it connects there. I really doubt that it is a router problem (besides a security issue) if the other laptop connects just fine. Dell (and most other companies) are notorious for taking the easy way out by blaming something else.

Back
Top Bottom