Setting SATA Drive as Slave

jokerk874

Baseband Member
I just got a new 1-TB Samsung DH103SJ F3 Hard Drive to use as a secondary hard drive.

I plugged it in, and it is showing up in the BIOS screen. However, I can't figure out how to set it as a slave. I currently have a 160 GB SATA Drive set as the Master with the OS (Windows 7) installed on it, as well as an IDE hard drive as a slave. But for some reason, the BIOS has both SATA drives as master drives.

There aren't any "jumpers" for the new hard drive, and from what I've seen online that is common. I tried playing around with some settings in the BIOS menu, but nothing seemed to work and I actually managed to get my startup screen to say "Error loading OS", so I restored all the default settings.

I can also post my specifications (motherboard, pcu, etc.) but I think this is a general question that doesn't require that.

Thanks

You don't need to change anything. Just format your new hard drive to NTFS and begin saving files on it. Windows will continue to boot normally.

For some reason it's not showing up as a Hard Drive in Windows:
ih2t0z.png

^^Note, neither of the hard drives listed are the new one

After the first boot-up with it plugged in, I got the nice "Your new SAMSUNG blah blah has been installed and is ready to use!" message, but it's not being recognized as a hard drive, I guess? How can I fix that?

Also, it is showing up in the Device Manger as a Disk Drive, however I can't do anything other than update the drivers. Any advice for how I can get it to be recognized as another Hard Drive like the two in the previous photo?

Thanks

You need to go into disk management and format the drive.

To open Disk Management, open the Start menu. In the search box type diskmgmt.msc, typing the command then the file will appear in the box, just click the file to open the tool.

You need to go into disk management and format the drive.

To open Disk Management, open the Start menu. In the search box type diskmgmt.msc, typing the command then the file will appear in the box, just click the file to open the tool.

Nicely Done!

I had to make a New Volume or something, and then assign a letter to the drive. Thanks a ton!

Back
Top Bottom