"Broken" CPU/MOBO Combos

Does anyone buy "broken" motherboard/CPU combos here? I'm just curious because I have Biostar TA770 A2+ (AM2+/AM2) ATX and a AMD Athlon 64x2 5400+ BE (2.8) sitting around the house. I overclocked the processor and left a very high OC on for a very long time. The processor "broke" and it will miscalculate. I was a dummy and I forgot to test it at underclocked speeds to see what happens. The only noticeable problem is that certain programs (Java, WarCraft III) will crash very quickly (after 5 min or so). I think the motherboard is in great working condition (I can't say for sure because I didn't have another processor to test). Would I have any chances of selling this on eBay or maybe even on here? If so, how much do you think I could get for it? I won't post pictures yet because I'm not really selling it, I'm just curious to know if it's in a condition where it can be sold for a decent amount of money.

Here are links to the products:

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...02&cm_re=Biostar_TA770-_-13-138-102-_-Product
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103289

edit: Sorry I didn't know where to put this. I was making it a post on random chit chat, then I went to Hardware, then back to random chit chat, then here.

It's "broken"; maybe you didn't pay full attention to the OP. I have a hunch (friends have said this works if it's not too damaged from an overclock) that if you underclock it might work fine. I haven't been able to test it. All I want to know is if there are people who buy stuff like this. If so, how much do stuff like this go for?

You will get very little for it on eBay. Anything with as-is listed on it sells for considerably less than if it worked for sure, and it really isn't worth a whole lot to start with.

I'd make it into a keychain personally...

Exactly, turn it into an arts and crafts project or somthing. Even if it worked perfectly it still wouldn't be worth a great deal of money.

My friend had a call wall of Mobos. He would buy broken Mobos for like $5-$10 on ebay.

I think the motherboard is fine. I wish I had a second AM2 processor to test the motherboard. How would I make a keychain out of the processor? Drill a hole at the corner?

I think the motherboard is fine. I wish I had a second AM2 processor to test the motherboard. How would I make a keychain out of the processor? Drill a hole at the corner?

Yep. I always use pentium IVs because they already have a hole. Just drill it the rest of the way through. It's in pretty much the perfect spot too. O guess look at a picture of one to see where it should go.

I've never known a CPU to partially work, or haven't experienced it yet! I was in a similar situ' with a Socket 939 mobo and CPU combo and like you running an OC. But the CPU completely gave out. I didn't suspect the mobo, A8N SLI Premium, and after swapping the CPU with a back-up it worked fine till the day I sold the lot on eBay.

I'd try and get hold of a cheap AMD Athlon 64 1.8Ghz CPU to test the mobo if you can.

I am interested in buying this. What kind of money are you talking about? ( how much)
ps: does the mainboard use ddr2 memory?

Well, I don't know how much these sell for. When I bought them, I paid about $140. The motherboard newegg sent me was an upgraded version of what I actually bought. It does use DDR2 memory. I was thinking $40-50 + shipping? I have everything that came with the motherboard. Like I said, I don't know how much this would go for because the processor still works. I can boot into Windows, use Chrome to navigate the internet, check e-mail, use Microsoft Office, etc. I was just having problems playing games and watching high quality video. I think if you underclock it might solve the problem. I didn't think to test this back then. I think the motherboard is working fine. If there is true interest in buying this board/CPU I'll post up some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom