Scary Moment

Sinonymous

In Runtime
Yesterday my parents bought me a 1990 KX125 as a surprise because they wanted me to have a better bike I could race in the county fair with (I have to sell the RM125). They said if I didn't like it within a couple days, they would sell it and I could keep the RM. Almost as a reflex, I asked if I could try out the top speed. So I went out to a relative's to test it out in a field, the field was overgrown so I used their strech of lane (neighbor didn't care). But I had a bad feeling from the start. The bike was runnig great so I took off down the lane but, the front brakes were a bit loose and the rear ones were offline. I reached the end off the lane so I slowed by downshifts but oddly enough it only down shifted to second. Confused and sort of neglent about I dropped the clutch and took off. I want to see the bikes true power so I went to 5th wide open. I tried to slow down to stop at my destination. I didn't slow down, nor could I downshift at all... I instantly :eek: and started cursing because I was running out of space because there was a steep downhill into the neighbors stone wall not far ahead. I couldn't bail (super road rash and lose the bike), so I went over into their neighbors yard avoided trees and put the foot down but it barely did much, until my foot started to dig into the fresh mud and the bike stalled from slowing down and locked the wheel and stopped. I never had been this happy to be moving in my life. :D

I didn't think my parents were trying to get rid of me but, part was me of it was not adding brake fluid the other was shifter and was a super wtf.

Dude, ride it around a little before you go blasting on it....lol Figure out the quirks and bugs and stuff like the shifter.

this reminds me of the first time I rode my last bike on the road.

i bought it from new, and after getting it all taxed and insured, I just went out on the road...

I was barely 200 yards from my house when the gear shift fell off, and I was heading down the road in 2nd, needing to shift up to travel at a decent speed but unable to...

thankfully the road was quite so I just stopped and pushed the bike down the path back home...

but it was a lesson well learned, when you get a new vehicle, (especially a bike that are prone to more vibrations), you need to do some basic checks before just jumping on...

Just going round the bike with a wrench making sure that all the bolts are tight can avoid scary moments...

That was lucky. Quite often you'll need to release the clutch between shifts if you're changing down a few gears at a time.

I had an equally scary moment a couple of days ago. I was coming up to a junction and TBH I was daydreaming a little, I thought I had lots of time to brake but I left it a little late considering it was raining hard. The rear wheel locked up straight away, I was pulling on the front brake as much as I dared but I didn't stop in time and just went straight out on to the road. Luckily it was only a country lane and there was nobody coming.

And two stroke motocross bike are so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom