New Gaming Computer V2

So1dier

Baseband Member
New Computer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium

Motherboard
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Graphics Card
XFX HD-587X-ZNDC Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX

Memory
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Monitor
ASUS VW266H Black 25.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Power Supply
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power

Case
RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

Keyboard
Razer Lycosa Mirror Special Edition

Mouse
Razer Orochi

Mouse pad
Razer Sphex

Headset
Sennheiser PC 350

Anti Static Wrist Wrap
CABLES UNLIMITED ACC-1400 Anti Static Wrist Strap With Grounding Wire
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concerns:
-Is my monitor good for gaming? It doesn't tell the refresh rate.
-Is 4 GB RAM enough? Is duel channel kit good? If I add 1 more 2 GB stick will it still run efficiently considering it's not a tri channel motherboard? (I will be running a game, pandora(music in web browser or app), and frapsing(video recording)).
-Is the 750 watt supply enough to run the system.
-Should I try to get by with cheaper thermal glue, I just bought more expensive one just to be safe cause it says it keeps the processor 3-12 degrees celcius lower then others, and I want it to stay low cause I'm using the Heatsink it comes with.
-Will all my hardware fit in the mid tower case I chose?
-Does the case come with the fans or do I have to buy them? I can never tell.
-Will audio still sound amazing using the audio that comes on the motherboard? I'm spending $229 on a headset, so I want the audio to sound great. Will I need to buy a good sound card?

Thanks for everyone that replies,
-Josh

youre probably going to need a audio card to drive that headset, i may recommend a nicer mobo but i dont know much about them so ill let someone else decide that

The motherboard is the one component you don't want to cheap out on (aside from the power supply). These are two very good AM3-socket motherboards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

Additionally, this memory is slightly better for the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=ripjaws-_-20-231-303-_-Product

As far as your questions are concerned:

-The monitor looks fine for gaming
-4GB of RAM is plenty unless you're doing some hardcore video editing or such
-750W is plenty, and you could do just as well with 650W even
-Do not get thermal epoxy. You will regret not being able to EVER take your cpu heatsink off
-A mid tower has plenty of room, one for your consideration is the COOLER MASTER RC-690, which I just bought for a build not dissimilar to yours
-The case will tell you in the description how many fans are included, most include about 2-3 default
-On-board audio is more than sufficient unless you do audio recording or just have alot of money to burn.

The motherboard is the one component you don't want to cheap out on (aside from the power supply). These are two very good AM3-socket motherboards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130275
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

I'm not sure how those motherboards are better then mine, other then the South Bridge and North Bridge are slightly lower then the ones you chose.

--------------------------------------------------
AMD 770 ---> AMD 870
AMD SB710 --> AMD SB850

My memory standard is 1600, Yours is 1600(OC)
Mine has USB 2.0, Yours has USB 2.0 and 3.0
--------------------------------------------------

Does that make a big difference, and for what, processor speed? Also the one you chose you need to overclock to use 1600 memory? (1600(OC))?

I upgraded my G-Skill memory as you are the 2nd person to point out that same upgrade. I'm still deciding on a case.

Also I thought I'd quote someone from another forum with 11,000 posts. I tend to disagree with a lot of what he said, it seems kinda iffy, but then again I'm still a computer noob.

Most people agree with you and say the on-board audio is sufficient. There are only 2 people who have disagree'd. The person with 3 posts right above you and the person with 11,000 from another forum. This is what he said.

As far as sound card/headset...your better off with a better sound card and a decent quality headset over integrated sound and an expensive headset. For gaming, there are a few sound cards out there that have integrated headphone amplifiers which is preferable on higher impedance headphones such as those sennheisers....however, those don't come cheap. You are talking ~$200 for an Ht Omega Claro+ or an Asus Xonar ST/STX. Onboard audio is generally pretty rubbish.

I would have to respectfully disagree about integrated sound. So long as you dont place any NICs or the like in the slot next to the front sound panel header connections (a mistake I made that causes audible interference and compromises quality), it will sound very good. Onboard sound might have been unacceptable 7 years ago, but with VIA and Realtek integrating their High-Definition 24-bit audio capable chipsets in motherboards, your "pedestrian" ears probably wouldn't hear the difference.

I would have to respectfully disagree about integrated sound. So long as you dont place any NICs or the like in the slot next to the front sound panel header connections (a mistake I made that causes audible interference and compromises quality), it will sound very good. Onboard sound might have been unacceptable 7 years ago, but with VIA and Realtek integrating their High-Definition 24-bit audio capable chipsets in motherboards, your "pedestrian" ears probably wouldn't hear the difference.

Sweet, ty!

Back
Top Bottom