have rourter. one pc clean, the other maybe not.

name

Beta member
i'm hoping to connect two pc's to a router (we have to share one net connection). one was (and of course may still be) infected by various viruses that steal information (it cannot be wiped as it was a v2 premier and there is no way to reload xp and the company no longer exists) so it was cleaned as best it could be (and i did seek help in getting it that way).

i have no idea what the user on it does. i do NOT want that pc hooking up to mine via the router, in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER.

the router is a dgl-4100 by D-link.

what do i need to do to make it to where there is NO WAY that that computer can hook up to my computer?

if the two computer are connecting to the same router make sure they are getting same segment of ip address from the router and you could a ping test ping the ip address of the other computer using your computer and vice versa if get replies on both computers that means they are communicating.

If you hook them up to the same router, then they will be on the same network and yes they will be able to communicate.

I don't understand why you can't reload XP on it? There are various ways to get a copy and as long as it has it's own XP sticker it is legit.

for some reason my internet service provider said that they would not be able to communicate unless i set thing up for that to happen. ???confused???

it's a v2premier bought off the home shopping network. that company no longer exists. there is no rescue disk or sector or anything to reset it with.

and how one get's a legal copy of xp without spending a load of money is beyond me. please enlighten me if you do know a way.

(there is no edit button)

d-link told me to change the workgroup name of the other computer so that they could not share files. how do i do this? and are they right that this would disable connection between the two pc's?

It would prevent an "easy" connection. Anytime they share a router, it is technically possible to find the other computer. I don't know how much the other user knows. To change the workgroup go START>Right-Click MY COMPUTER>PROPERTIES>Computer Name Tab.

Look on the other computer and there should be a sticker that has something about Windows XP and then there should be a product key. With this sticker, you can load any XP (assuming it's the same version, like if the sticker is for XP Home then you can load any XP home CD). One simple call to Microsoft to report a dead harddrive and to give them that product key and they will provide you with the proper activation key (usually it can all be done using their automated process).

Back
Top Bottom