Random Chit Chat

Okay. To sum all of that up, basically just don't cheap out here, grab some TRS connectors (they aren't THAT expensive anyways..I'm just frugal) and run a line for left and right channels.

And more importantly left & right balanced lines.

Can I use that same wire that I'm using for the microphone runs? It'd be great if I could...or even just TRY to begin with, because if I have extra, I might as well try it. I mean, I'm not sure if we can afford another 400 feet of high quality stuff.

That twisted pair construction is ideal for long audio transmission. The twisting of the cores means that any interference picked up along the line is induced equally on each core. Without delving into the ins/outs of balanced audio this is really a good thing as the interference is cancelled out at the balanced line receiver. Thank god for Op-Amps!

Super. Can you recommend any active speakers that are in the $50-$100 USD range? I'm not experience with them at all, but I can say I will not use anything Behringer. I hate them. I had HORRIBLE luck with their powered PA speakers a while ago. Wretched sound.

lol! I won't mention my lovely Truth 2031A's then! Until I can afford some Genelec's with some NS10M's they'll be fine. Anyways i'll get back to you about the active speakers...

Have I told you lately that [strikethru]I love you[/strikethru]...err..I mean, you are awesome! :p (yes, I realize we don't have strikethru but I had to put it in there for dramatic effect :p)

lol :p

Avoid unbalanced connections altogether. Along with the possibility of picking up interference, RCA devices usually don't provide enough output for the amplifier to work with. You're going to need to purchase a converter which can not only convert the unbalanced signal to a balanced one, but could also boost the signal into something usable.

The tape outputs usually reference @ -10dbu (0.3V) while the main outs, control room, aux/bus outs usually reference @ +4dbu (1.23V) and there's headroom too; my mixer will run nearly 2V @ the tape out and more than 6V at all the other outputs before clipping... So while you 'could' run to the amps via the tape outs the main problem here is cable capacitance and the un-balanced line not the output level. And the amp works fine with low-level line outs too.

I know my Crown XTi 1000 has trouble with unbalanced RCA connections. Had to purchase a separate booster to make the attenuators usable.

My bad. It is dependant on the equipment. The Crown XTi 1000's input sensitivity is rated @ 1.4V; nearly the same as the QSC-GX amp, which is pretty much pro audio levels. But even the mixer's tape out's should provide enough level. Pro' amps like these may be under-driven when used with domestic audio equipment though.

Nice amp you got there 01001010. Is it part of a pre-power domestic set up or studio monitor amp?

It's all domestic. Using it with consumer equipment. Had a bunch of trouble getting the two to sing.

Planning to upgrade again this summer, from this to this. I'm currently using the Harman Kardon HK 3490 to power the satellites.

The Crown XTi 1000 is currently used to power my subwoofer. I might move that amplifier to power the new satellites and buy the Crown XTi 2000 as a new subwoofer amplifier.

Who knows. I might not even upgrade. We'll see how things work out.

It's all domestic. Using it with consumer equipment. Had a bunch of trouble getting the two to sing.

Planning to upgrade again this summer, from this to this. I'm currently using the Harman Kardon HK 3490 to power the satellites.

The Crown XTi 1000 is currently used to power my subwoofer. I might move that amplifier to power the new satellites and buy the Crown XTi 2000 as a new subwoofer amplifier.

Who knows. I might not even upgrade. We'll see how things work out.

Thats some power you got there. As if the XTi 1000 wasn't enough with that sub.

If you do upgrade though then the XTi 1000 would be perfect with the new satellites, having the 2000 power that huge sub, leaving the HK receiver to provide just the line level audio to the power amps.

Dang!

You know, I might go the cheaper route and use Crown's new XLS 1000 to power the satellites. I don't feel like dropping 700 for the XTi 2000.

I just don't trust the HK at all to handle anything more power hungry. It's been a horrible purchase. Reliability problems all around. Had to send the unit in three times to get a working model. It's a joke.

You know, I might go the cheaper route and use Crown's new XLS 1000 to power the satellites. I don't feel like dropping 700 for the XTi 2000.

I just don't trust the HK at all to handle anything more power hungry. It's been a horrible purchase. Reliability problems all around. Had to send the unit in three times to get a working model. It's a joke.

Seriously? I actually liked the old integrated HK stuff. Can't believe it crap'd out so many times.

The XLS1000 specs is great. Class D amplification, so huge but efficient power outputs.

Have you thought about ditching the HK and using just a pre-amp receiver with the power amps?

Back
Top Bottom