PSU Question

airsoftkid

In Runtime
How much wattage do I need for these components?

2 Gigs of RAM
a 3.2 Ghz processor
512 Megabyte graphics card
a DVD drive
a 80 gig hard drive

Any answers would be helpful?

Any 500W power supply with average amps on the 12V Rail should be enough. That graphics card may need a PCI-e connector. Make sure you don't forget to check.

Alright thanks.
Another question, can I use a higher Wattage PSU? Like a 680? I've found a great deal on a Power supply and it'd only cost me like 27.00, but it's a 680w.

Also is Echo Star any good?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with using a more powerful PSU (other than the fact that it may use more of your electricity). I've never heard of Echo Star as a PSU brand. Quality brands are Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ, and PC Power & Cooling.

Alright thanks Jogo.
Another question if you know, do I have to have a Processor Heatsink and fan for a 3.2 Ghz Socket 775 Intel P4?

Also, I'm running a BTX rig.

All processors have a heat-sink of some kind on them. It could be a chunk of metal with some fins (real high end ones can have what's called "heat pipes" as well) or a special designed block to allow the transfer of fluid for liquid cooling. A fan isn't truly necessary if the heat-sink is made well enough.

95% of the BTX systems i have seen (all dells) did not have a fan on the heat sink

Is that 680 watt happen to be a Sunbeam? If so i wouldn't get it. I would get a Rosewill or OCZ, better brand and more Amps.

Thanks Guys, I really do appreciate it. Though I keep seeming to come up with little things here and there.

I just did the Antec calculator and it said I only needed 380 Watts for all of that, does this mean I could get away even if that was off with a 450?

And that little tidbit on the heatsink was helpful too, I didn't know if it was one of those required kinda things or not.

**Edit- I'm sorry to be such a question-filled noob, but it's been several years since I repaired or built a new comp, and I'm only 14 to begin with so I'm still learning...

It's alright, don't apologize. Nobody knows everything. If you buy a good quality PSU, yes, you could get away with a 450W.

Back
Top Bottom