Random Chit Chat

@Remeniz: In reference to the sound project that we've been talking about, how would suggest I output sound to amp from the Alesis?

The easiest way would be to feed the amp from the main outs using TRS-TRS with balanced cabling or the tape outs using un-balanced phono leads. Balanced cabling is prefered simply becasue any noise/interference thats picked up along the line is usually cancelled out at the receiving unit.

There is 2 ways. 1) I can do Main Outs, however, there is a left and a right channel (does this mean that each is just a TS?)...

The amp accepts un-balanced signals/connections so you can use un-balanced leads with TS plugs.

...and I don't want to run TWO lines. PLUS, I'm going to mixdown to mono anyways before going into the amp because I want the same sound to be output from both speakers...

Ok. But remember that all the mono sources coming into the mixer will be fed to the stereo outputs equally as long as the balance pot is centered. So whether it's guitars, vocals, etc, they will be fed to both outputs equally. You can run just one mono line (left) from the 'Control Room', 'Main Mix Out' or even use one of the Aux Sends from the mixer and split it in two to power the amps channels if you like saving on cable although to be fair i'd run a pair of balanced cables (left and right) to feed the amp if I can.

... so 2) wouldn't it make more sense to use the 2-track tape output (RCA), mix it down to mono to run the line (line will be about 125-150 feet) and then go into the amp?

This is another possibility but remember that the output here is un-balanced and along a long line any noise/interference thats picked up will most of the time be amplified by the amp and heard throught the speakers. Un-balanced runs are great for shot lengths but after that i'm running balanced sets if I can. In my own set up the leads coming from my audio interface to my mixer are only 3 meters long but they are balanced and this is why I get no mains hum pick-up or digital interference even though the cables run close/cross mains cables.

I think option 2 is probably more cost effective if the quality will be the same. I guess, I've got tons of RCA connector laying around, whereas I'd have to buy the TS or TRS connectors.

The only thing thats gonna hinder quality as substandard cabling. Your running long lengths here so use some nice cable, nothing small. Audio cable acts very much like a low-pass filter; the length being the resistance and the capacitance is in between cores and ground and both get worse with length. The worse case sceniro is reduced high Fq response.

Plus, the AMP (GX3) has RCA inputs...

The un-ubalanced RCA's are great for short runs but again if you got the time and cable to do balanced TRS runs from mixer to amp then thats the way to go. If you go the un-balanced route then make sure you keep the audio cables away from mains cabling and if you have to cross mains cable then cross the audio cable at right angles to the mains cabling to reduce pick-up.

Oooh. Forgot to mention, Remeniz. There is an interesting development to this. I guess our church would also like to output sound to a speaker in the basement and one or two in a main floor room, IF POSSIBLE (not a priority). I would need to split the output from the mixer. Would their be quality loss with an RCA splitter? Or would I want to manually split the lines? I would think that I would have to use small powered speakers in the locations listed (you know, similar to studio monitors, I suppose...nothing extravagant and we can't break the bank. They'd need to be like $50 a piece to make this feasible). Can this happen or not really? We don't have much of a budget. Argh.

Active speakers would be much easier and practical to use in the other rooms and an RCA splitter would work fine.

dudesetup.jpg

The balanced connections in blue from mixer to amp would be ideal although the green connections are the next best option.

@01001010:
What's the longest length VGA cable you can run? You think I'd get a lot of signal loss/distortion with a 30 footer or so? Haven't measured what I'm doing yet, so that's a guestimate.

Currently running 50 feet with an active distributor/amplifier. No major signal degradation. Be sure to get high quality cables.

Is it just me, or is xbox live completely overrun by immature 12-year-olds calling everyone 'fag'?

Seriously, no matter what I do, it somehow makes me a fag. I could just suck at Call of Duty, it doesn't matter.

I wish Microsoft would break out the banhammer on all these people.

Is it just me, or is xbox live completely overrun by immature 12-year-olds calling everyone 'fag'?

Seriously, no matter what I do, it somehow makes me a fag. I could just suck at Call of Duty, it doesn't matter.

I wish Microsoft would break out the banhammer on all these people.

As long as parents buy their underage children games with online multiplayer this will always happen. Microsoft can't do much about it except inform players on how to report an abusive gamer.

As long as parents buy their underage children games with online multiplayer this will always happen. Microsoft can't do much about it except inform players on how to report an abusive gamer.

In World of Warcraft, I am a noob for the sole reason that I have a horde character. :rolleyes:

But Micro$oft doesn't do crap unless someone is reported a bazillion times. Basically banning someone is a business decision for them. From what I've heard, the way it works is they will allow them to stay until it gets to the point that they could potentially drive away customers.

Hopefully that isn't true, but from the looks of things, nobody ever gets banned.

I want this car. http://m.neatorama.com/2007/10/22/prius-stretch-limo/

prius-stretch-limo.jpg

http://www.leblogauto.com/2007/10/la-prius-limousine.html

crushed prius + crushed prius = coolest car ever.

Eh. Whatever...I've gotten used to it.

It's easier to handle if you don't have a microphone since you won't be tempted to reply. If you don't say anything back they'll just look for someone else to troll.

Reply "no u". Say it with practically no spaces. I'm not the least bit irritated by it, so I can't really say much here. It's a word they probably heard from their 4th grade brethren and thought it would make them internetz badaszes by saying it. But we all know the Internetz is SFB and is no place for children xD.

*The easiest way would be to feed the amp from the main outs using TRS-TRS with balanced cabling or the tape outs using un-balanced phono leads. Balanced cabling is prefered simply becasue any noise/interference thats picked up along the line is usually cancelled out at the receiving unit.

*The amp accepts un-balanced signals/connections so you can use un-balanced leads with TS plugs.

*Ok. But remember that all the mono sources coming into the mixer will be fed to the stereo outputs equally as long as the balance pot is centered. So whether it's guitars, vocals, etc, they will be fed to both outputs equally. You can run just one mono line (left) from the 'Control Room', 'Main Mix Out' or even use one of the Aux Sends from the mixer and split it in two to power the amps channels if you like saving on cable although to be fair i'd run a pair of balanced cables (left and right) to feed the amp if I can.

*This is another possibility but remember that the output here is un-balanced and along a long line any noise/interference thats picked up will most of the time be amplified by the amp and heard throught the speakers. Un-balanced runs are great for shot lengths but after that i'm running balanced sets if I can. In my own set up the leads coming from my audio interface to my mixer are only 3 meters long but they are balanced and this is why I get no mains hum pick-up or digital interference even though the cables run close/cross mains cables.

*The only thing thats gonna hinder quality as substandard cabling. Your running long lengths here so use some nice cable, nothing small. Audio cable acts very much like a low-pass filter; the length being the resistance and the capacitance is in between cores and ground and both get worse with length. The worse case sceniro is reduced high Fq response.

*The un-ubalanced RCA's are great for short runs but again if you got the time and cable to do balanced TRS runs from mixer to amp then thats the way to go. If you go the un-balanced route then make sure you keep the audio cables away from mains cabling and if you have to cross mains cable then cross the audio cable at right angles to the mains cabling to reduce pick-up.

Okay. To sum all of that up, basically just don't cheap out here, grab some TRS connectors (they aren't THAT expensive anyways..I'm just frugal) and run a line for left and right channels.

Can I use that same wire that I'm using for the microphone runs? It'd be great if I could...or even just TRY to begin with, because if I have extra, I might as well try it. I mean, I'm not sure if we can afford another 400 feet of high quality stuff.

Active speakers would be much easier and practical to use in the other rooms and an RCA splitter would work fine.

Super. Can you recommend any that are in the $50-$100 USD range? I'm not experience with them at all, but I can say I will not use anything Behringer. I hate them. I had HORRIBLE luck with their powered PA speakers a while ago. Wretched sound.

dudesetup.jpg

The balanced connections in blue from mixer to amp would be ideal although the green connections are the next best option.

Have I told you lately that [strikethru]I love you[/strikethru]...err..I mean, you are awesome! :p (yes, I realize we don't have strikethru but I had to put it in there for dramatic effect :p)

Currently running 50 feet with an active distributor/amplifier. No major signal degradation. Be sure to get high quality cables.

Hmm. How much did that run you. I'm not looking to spend much. Active distrib/amp sounds spendy. Also, I'll spread the love. You're pretty awesome too. :D

Back
Top Bottom