Opinions on computer desks?

Last week I moved into a larger apartment and my computer desk is currently seriously cramped. I've been looking around trying to find a nice large L-Shaped computer desk to replace my current desk. Is there some good sites I should be checking out? I've looked through Walmart, Sears, JC Penny's and Staples. They all seem pretty similar so far and the best one I've found is through Sears (Surprisingly their $20 cheaper than Walmart)!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00891654000P?mv=rr

I don't really want to spend more than $300 on a computer desk. I know of some custom sites that have really nice thing but I can't afford to drop $600+ on a desk right now. Do you guys think this should be a pretty nice setup with the one linked above?

This is my current desk and you can see how cluttered it is. I also took the top of this one because it didn't have enough room with multiple displays by default. And I've actually got another monitor I want to put on my desk when I get something bigger.

ComputerDesk.jpg

That desk looks great! The only thing that bothers me is that you might not be able to fit 3 monitors on one side of it. I would say look for a desk where you sit at the angle of the L. This way, you can have the monitors more or less stretching around you. On the one you linked above, the keyboard shelf is not on the angle of the L. If you don't plan on putting your keyboard there, it looks like a good buy to me.

Thanks for your opinion Joga. Essentially what I was thinking of doing was putting my laptop on the little center piece since the monitor is smaller than my other displays to help line it up. Then have one on the right side that is the second display for the MBP. Then have the other 2 displays on the other side running off my PC. I only need to work from one section at a time so there shouldn't be any keyboard issues. As you can see I typically put them on the top of the desk anyways.

I'm hoping with the one I've got linked I'll still have room for my office phone, speakers and printer too. I think it's going to be pretty close but I know I'll have more room than I've got now.

Edit: Actually my laptop should sit in front of that and I could probably put the printer on the lifted section behind it in the center.

Got any friends with an air compressor? I built my desk with my dad, it's much more sturdy and heavy duty than anything you would get at sears, walmart, or Ikea. You can pick up some sheets of a type of plywood board(since the widest you should be using regular wood is 6-8"). I used 1/4" thick, and hte top is a flat piece with a frame built out of the same stuff. Then you can chop up some regular 2x4s for trim... Biscuit the corners, staple on some trim, fill in any holes with putty, and stain and varnish the whole thing. Looks really good, really strong, and you can make it to anysize. Mine is 48" wide, and 36" deep. Most desks from stores aren't nearly that deep, and I really like having it that deap. Only problem is getting it through the door, as most doors are 30". Finally assembly had to be done in my room.

Use something like this I think. Can't remember what it's really called, but we picked it up at Homedepot for like $15 for a 4'x8', and I think we used 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_veneer_lumber

You could also glue boards togethor and biscuit them, but you would need a wide planer.

Got any friends with an air compressor? I built my desk with my dad, it's much more sturdy and heavy duty than anything you would get at sears, walmart, or Ikea. You can pick up some sheets of a type of plywood board(since the widest you should be using regular wood is 6-8"). I used 1/4" thick, and hte top is a flat piece with a frame built out of the same stuff. Then you can chop up some regular 2x4s for trim... Biscuit the corners, staple on some trim, fill in any holes with putty, and stain and varnish the whole thing. Looks really good, really strong, and you can make it to anysize. Mine is 48" wide, and 36" deep. Most desks from stores aren't nearly that deep, and I really like having it that deap. Only problem is getting it through the door, as most doors are 30". Finally assembly had to be done in my room.

Use something like this I think. Can't remember what it's really called, but we picked it up at Homedepot for like $15 for a 4'x8', and I think we used 2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_veneer_lumber

You could also glue boards togethor and biscuit them, but you would need a wide planer.

1 @ OP) I hate L shaped desks. I had one. Got rid of it quickly. I thought it would be multi-tasking heaven. It was not.

2 @ superman) I love the DIY job. However, I would stray from veneer. It dents easy, and if you gouge it, it's there forever. I prefer hard wood tops. It doesn't have to be spendy. I'm currently building a pine board desk. My room is trimmed in knotty pine, and I'm doing the desk to match. My work bench is also pine-top. I simple go pre-fab board (it's small strips of pine glued together) and then put clear coat varnish on it. You could also stain it, if you like, but I like the natural color. To support it, I simply used an un-treaded 4x4 and clear coated that too!

1 @ OP) I hate L shaped desks. I had one. Got rid of it quickly. I thought it would be multi-tasking heaven. It was not.

2 @ superman) I love the DIY job. However, I would stray from veneer. It dents easy, and if you gouge it, it's there forever. I prefer hard wood tops. It doesn't have to be spendy. I'm currently building a pine board desk. My room is trimmed in knotty pine, and I'm doing the desk to match. My work bench is also pine-top. I simple go pre-fab board (it's small strips of pine glued together) and then put clear coat varnish on it. You could also stain it, if you like, but I like the natural color. To support it, I simply used an un-treaded 4x4 and clear coated that too!
Yeah, that's what I have I think, I can't remember... lol. It's small strips, like plywood, but the top and bottom look much nicer.

it does look nice but if it gets marred or dented, you can see the plywood or MDF (whatever is in the sandwich). I use my desk so much that that wouldn't be a good idea for me. It'd get dented in no time. Whereas, pine looks good that way. Rustic. Kinda the theme for my room.

That is a pretty nice computer desk, I like it.

I was looking at computer desks at Staples the other day and I saw a couple that had built in usb ports. I think that would be pretty handy to have 4 usb ports right in the desk, just something for you to think about.

That is a pretty nice computer desk, I like it.

I was looking at computer desks at Staples the other day and I saw a couple that had built in usb ports. I think that would be pretty handy to have 4 usb ports right in the desk, just something for you to think about.

I think neodude made his own built in USB in his desk. Turned out swell, IIRC.

I might have a desk for ya. You'll like the one that I have have. Imma take a pic!

Back
Top Bottom