iPad should I buy it or wait??

Get a laptop

Wait to get the iPad for a very long time... like forever maybe

"My question is, should I wait and get her a laptop which I think is a lot better but not as nice."

A lot better... but not as nice?... who cares about design really, when its functionality that matters the most, or should matter the most.
That is what Apple gets wrong

The iPod... it looks great... it does a lot, but... does it have a great sound chip running the damn thing? Custom EQ's? No

Working in the sales world and always being near people I tend to realize that guys really don't care about design but females genderaly do. So it might actually matter to her.

I would also have to go with a netbook. It's much more useful, easier to type on and in general Bad @$$. I love my netbook, and you can get em cheap nowadays.

What's she going to use it for?

If she just logs onto facebook / email every so often then the ipad might be worth considering - if it's something she wants. I'd personally still go for a laptop or wait and get one of the other tablets coming out that look (IMO) better, but hey not everyone's the same and some people like it.

On the other hand if she's going to be typing essays and doing work on it it's a no brainer for me, have to be the laptop.

IMO. I'd get it...just because it's pretty cheap and you could consider it a laptop!

IMO. I'd get it...just because it's pretty cheap and you could consider it a laptop!

$500 for the base model. And it lacks almost every feature of a laptop. All it is really good for is web browsing. Sure you can store one or two movies or play some music at crap quality, but you could also do that on a much cheaper, yet more powerful netbook.

The netbook would also have:
The ability to run actual programs
storage upgradeability (run out of storage? Just stick in a SD card!)
a real keyboard
ability to type without being restricted to like 5 inches of screen
usb ports! (sync your mp3 player, camera, etc.)
webcam for video chat
wired networking (faster, and useful in hotels where wireless is not available)
ability to customize much more in your OS
can actually run games much better than the iPad
much harder to damage. (I have seen many dropped netbooks that went with zero damage. Don't even think of dropping that iPad though)
matte lcd on most (much less glare than on an iPad)
ability to have 3G plans besides AT&T (unlimited data!)
ability to use a real mouse and keyboard (though most netbooks already have a full-sized keyboard)
the list goes on...

What does the iPad have?
Thinner
Tablet form (could be a plus or minus)
cool interface (though rather impractical)
multitouch panel (though most netbooks have a multitouch touchpad nowadays)
I guess more accessories?
Wow factor (for the next couple months, until people get used to seeing them)

Up to you really, but it seems like a clear choice to me.

Back
Top Bottom