Identity Stolen today

Today started off as a typical day for me. Shortly after lunch I ran into town to the store to pick some stuff up. I walked up to the register and gave the clerk my card. She swiped it then a few minutes later she said it was declined. I knew I had quite a bit of money in my account and told her it must be a mistake. So, she swiped it again and the card was declined.

At this point I'm like wtf is going on? So, I go up to my local bank which is closed by this point. I go to the ATM and do a balance inquiry. Balance was right around where it should be so I tried to take some money out. I get a message saying unauthorized access contact card manufacture. I get back to the house and start trying to figure out who to contact.

Because the bank was closed I tried a few numbers till I got a live person which I talked to and got referred to another number. By the 4th call I had finally found the correct department and asked what the hell was going on.

It turns out this morning some asshole tried to purchase a bunch of stuff through some merchant in Spain or something on my account. Only 1 charge went through for a few dollars which will be refunded by my bank. I was happy to find out that nothing really went through of value, although I'm still pissed about how somebody got my details.

About the only thing I can think of is Friday night. After I finished up work I had drove down to Quick Fill to get some gas. The guy that was working their was a pretty scraggly looking guy and I thought it took him a while to return me my card after he walked in to scan it. I'm really thinking this is the guy that stole my card details but I'm not positive. The only other time it left my sight was when I picked up a case of beer but I've seen that guy working their for the last 2 years and wouldn't think he would take my info. Plus he wasn't gone but a few seconds.

Now I've got to wait till Tuesday morning to get another card issued and hopefully get some info regarding the person that used my card. Supposedly they tried placing orders over the phone but I'm hoping to find out specific details at the bank Tuesday. I haven't ordered from any strange places online and my Mac is virus free so I've got to believe that this happened on Friday night.

Anybody else have their identity stolen? It really pisses me off because I'm pretty careful with my cards and I"m just racking my brain on how somebody could have got the info. All I can come up with is that guy from Quick Fill though. Guess I learned a lesson to never use my card if it's going out of my sight. Has anybody here ever had their info stolen?

What a way to start the holiday weekend! I'm just glad I wasn't out of town or I would have been screwed!

Sorry to hear about that - it's not a nice situation to be in, though at least it's just turned out as an inconvenience (rather than actually losing a few thousand!)

One other possibility, if you've used your card in any shops with CCTV, even if you've kept hold of it all along, it's possible that someone may have caught sight of the details on camera. It's not unknown at all, especially back here - I know of at least one person who was screwed over at a shop that way!

Sorry to hear about that - it's not a nice situation to be in, though at least it's just turned out as an inconvenience (rather than actually losing a few thousand!)

One other possibility, if you've used your card in any shops with CCTV, even if you've kept hold of it all along, it's possible that someone may have caught sight of the details on camera. It's not unknown at all, especially back here - I know of at least one person who was screwed over at a shop that way!

I thought about that but if I felt it was fishy, I was worried that I'd end up grabbing the guy by the throat and kicking the blank out of him. I don't have any solid proof yet, that he was the one that grabbed the details of my card.

I'll be waiting until I get can confirmation on where the card was used. The thing is with CCTV, I don't think I've been any places recently that I'm not a normal shopper at. I could be wrong here but after reviewing my latest history online I'm not seeing anything out of my ordinary routine.

Go back to the gas station and question the SOB.

I'd really like to, but I'm worried I'm going to overreact and end up in jail. Although, if I find out it was from the area I'm going to pay him a visit ;)

Wow, you are really unlucky to have that happen. You probabbly entered your information at a phishing website or left on your computer and had it hacked. You also could have had a keylogger infection that stole your data when you logged in to a financial account or you left the remember me button checked when you used a computer that others use.

That sucks, I actually had someone steal my social security number once, ran up a bunch of debt that I'm now responsible for and background checks always get fudged up.

My mom had that issue when somebody stole her pocketbook. They went to Atlantic City and bought like 3 pairs of sketchers and then went to KFC..

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;1037800 said:
Today started off as a typical day for me. Shortly after lunch I ran into town to the store to pick some stuff up. I walked up to the register and gave the clerk my card. She swiped it then a few minutes later she said it was declined. I knew I had quite a bit of money in my account and told her it must be a mistake. So, she swiped it again and the card was declined.

At this point I'm like wtf is going on? So, I go up to my local bank which is closed by this point. I go to the ATM and do a balance inquiry. Balance was right around where it should be so I tried to take some money out. I get a message saying unauthorized access contact card manufacture. I get back to the house and start trying to figure out who to contact.

Because the bank was closed I tried a few numbers till I got a live person which I talked to and got referred to another number. By the 4th call I had finally found the correct department and asked what the hell was going on.

It turns out this morning some asshole tried to purchase a bunch of stuff through some merchant in Spain or something on my account. Only 1 charge went through for a few dollars which will be refunded by my bank. I was happy to find out that nothing really went through of value, although I'm still pissed about how somebody got my details.

About the only thing I can think of is Friday night. After I finished up work I had drove down to Quick Fill to get some gas. The guy that was working their was a pretty scraggly looking guy and I thought it took him a while to return me my card after he walked in to scan it. I'm really thinking this is the guy that stole my card details but I'm not positive. The only other time it left my sight was when I picked up a case of beer but I've seen that guy working their for the last 2 years and wouldn't think he would take my info. Plus he wasn't gone but a few seconds.

Now I've got to wait till Tuesday morning to get another card issued and hopefully get some info regarding the person that used my card. Supposedly they tried placing orders over the phone but I'm hoping to find out specific details at the bank Tuesday. I haven't ordered from any strange places online and my Mac is virus free so I've got to believe that this happened on Friday night.

Anybody else have their identity stolen? It really pisses me off because I'm pretty careful with my cards and I"m just racking my brain on how somebody could have got the info. All I can come up with is that guy from Quick Fill though. Guess I learned a lesson to never use my card if it's going out of my sight. Has anybody here ever had their info stolen?

What a way to start the holiday weekend! I'm just glad I wasn't out of town or I would have been screwed!

Okay. 1) not to harp on you, but your identity wasn't stolen, your credit card was. You identity is stolen when someone takes full control over everything that's "in your name". The main one would be your social security number, if you are in the U.S....or the respective in other countries. This is almost irreversible...so the people can rack up debt and credit cards and even houses and cars in your name and never be found--and you may never recover the losses to your "good name".

2) I also had my credit card info stolen.

Had to find it so that's why Discover is highlighted since that's the card I use.

Back
Top Bottom