Can't get wireless to work on Windows 7. Help!

damian5000

Baseband Member
Dell d630. Broadcomm 1490 Mini

I did some repairs to my LCD and when restarting my computer, I couldn't log on wirelessly to the internet anymore.

I could see the networks at first, but not connect. I downloaded the newest Dell drivers and installed them and now I can't even see the networks. When hovering over the network icon in bottom right it says "not connected no connections available".

Bringing up network center -> network device details shows it as disabled and the Dell software when i try to bring it up says device disabled or not connected even though in System Hardware Devices it says "enabled". Properties show "working properly:".

I've tried uninstalling and disabling and reenabling. When I try to reenable through network control center it says reenabling quickly disables itself again...in system hardware it shows as enabled and working fine.

I know the hardware works because I can see and connect when booting from a seperate hard drive with Windows XP installed on it. At first it wouldn't work with XP either, but I deleted and recreated the network and then it worked. Wish I had done that at first with my Windows 7 install...This is all I use, the XP drive is trashed.

Was able to get the generic Windows Driver back, it was something from 2008. Same behavior. Updated only the driver (didn't install software) to newer (11/09) broadcomm driver. Same behavior. Just refuses to be enabled in network properties. Device manager still shows it working and enabled

I believe what happened was the computer lost the SSID. With the Windows XP drive, I deleted the network profile and created another one. With Windows 7, I automatically updated the drivers and that's when the big trouble happened. Before I updated the drivers, I could still see the networks, and I BELIEVE at that point if I had deleted the network profile for this wireless network everything would of been alright, but the driver update has caused some sort of conflict.

This is strange..I've already spent so many hours on this. I'm about to give up and reinstall from scratch.

When you updated the driver, are you sure it was compatible with Windows 7?

And this may seem like a dumb question, but it's happened to me before, if there's a switch for the wireless on the chassis of the laptop, is it switched on?:rolleyes:

-Alex-

Hi, yes..it's the driver for Windows 7. Yes, the wireless switch and light are on. Hardware wise it's working fine because it works with my Windows XP drive. There's something keeping Windows 7 from accepting it software wise, but I have no idea what to try next.

Back
Top Bottom