Question

Dancing_Shadows

Solid State Member
I have an old laptop here that someone gave me for free. The old man stripped the screws, so I can only get to certain parts without breaking the case. I can get it to power up, but it brings me to a black screen that asks if I would like to boot windows normally or use the "last successful configuration." When I push enter on any of the options, the machine powers down.

I successfully made it into the bios once, but since then when I attempt to get to the bios menu it shuts off like it did for the other menu before.

Any ideas as to why this would happen?

The Old man thought it was the motherboard but if that were the case it wouldn't even get as far as it did, would it?

Maybe a RAM problem..?

thoughts?

Answer

If it were just a hard drive problem, your BIOS would word. If it were a RAM problem, you wouldn't even get to the "Start Windows Normally" screen. If it were a Mobo problem, what is happening to you now would happen.

I had a computer at work doing that, I forgot what I did... but I might have replaced the hard drive. Try reinstalling windows and see if it works, though it's really worrying me now that you can't get back to the bios.

-Q

Is it overheating? Is there case evidence of a severe fall? It may be the RAM. I've had computers that would shut down during Windows setup that would work after I replaced the RAM.

Back
Top Bottom