Random Chit Chat

You can plug the guitar, via a DI box like the Behringer DI100, into the combi socket that is wired to the XLR plug that goes into the mixer. The stereo version combi socket is ideal.

Right. But if you are using a DI box having a combo socked is redundant. All of the DIs I've worked with have XLR out

Right. But if you are using a DI box having a combo socked is redundant. All of the DIs I've worked with have XLR out

True.

I thought the reason why dude_56013 was using a combi socket was so he can plug in condenser mic's, and other stuff, at the stage area as well as guitars. I think thats why he asked about the 48+ phantom power along this lead he's making.

True.

I thought the reason why dude_56013 was using a combi socket was so he can plug in condenser mic's, and other stuff, at the stage area as well as guitars. I think thats why he asked about the 48+ phantom power along this lead he's making.

Yea. That's what I got from it as well. But I think he thought that it was just a straight conversion from 1/4" hi-z unbal to XLR lo-z bal. And was wondering if phantom would have any effect on this. But you need phantom for a DI anyways, so it'll all be good.

Lets just say someone found an old car on township owned property, that's been there for a few years. How would you figure out who owns it?

^^ is there a license plate still on the car? If not you can have a cop run the VIN number and find the owner

Nope, no plates... and I dont know any cops personally that would run the number.... Car's in Ontario if that matters

Yea. That's what I got from it as well. But I think he thought that it was just a straight conversion from 1/4" hi-z unbal to XLR lo-z bal. And was wondering if phantom would have any effect on this. But you need phantom for a DI anyways, so it'll all be good.

Something like this is what I was thinking of...

ComboXLRTRStoXLR.jpg

I went through that about 10 times before I bought my 84 Z28. It was very disheartening. Like they think I'm going to buy it anyways that they need to lie? If it's rusted, I ain't buying it. Simple as that. Stupid f-ers.

Agreed. If not that, it's been in an accident. :(

Okay first and foremost I should have made ONE MAJOR DISCLAIMER (and this is my fault). It's an acoustic electric. Not simply an electric guitar. I would never try to run an electric through the PA. I've run my acoustic electric though plenty PA systems, so I know it works in that sense (as far as sound).

no, no, no...

Guitars are hi-z. Micropones are low-z. If you want to connect your guitar directly to the board, you need a DI box, which is connected to your guitar and the board. They are kinda pricey for something worth a damn. Balanced isn't of any importance here because its an impedance issue.

I'd suggest just micing your cab.

1) I do know that guitars are hi-z and mics are low-z. BUT, does it matter if it's acoustic electric?

Get some sleep man ;)

I did, thankfully. Sh*t gets confusing when you've been staring at it for 10 hours. hahahahaha.

Thats a great idea. Have a look at this. Make sure the combi jack has at least 6 terminals, not 5 like the first one. This means you can utilise a balanced line from the combi connector to the XLR plug at the other end. I'll explain later in this response...

You would get the stereo version, or the TRS(tip-ring-sleeve) version. Again this makes the line, from the combi socket to the XLR plug balanced and means you can connect balanced stuff via TRS too. You see, when you plug an unbalanced TS(tip-Sleeve) plug into the combi the tip(hot) connects to the hot core in the balanced lead and the sleeve of the TS plug shorts the cold and ground cores of the lead. Just pluging in the TS plug makes the whole cable run, from Combi to XLR, un-balanced; perfect! Also the mixer you have accepts balanced/un-balanced connections; super perfect!

So, this one then, correct!?

Well the previous text answers this question. The mixer's happy with balanced/un-balanced signals/connectors.

Thought so. I couldn't remember or not. Then when you said that, I've had my acoustic-electric and actual electric guitar plugged in. They both worked. Granted, the cord length was 30 feet...

Speaking of which, I don't think I've mentioned that the in-wall length of the wire is going to be ~100-125 feet (from mixer to wall jack). Even if it does not work for guitar, it's still nice having a TRS combi jack so that I don't have to run 2 strands of wire.

Well you automatically create that, un-balanced, cable when you plug in an un-balanced TS jack into the combi. Otherwise what your 'going to make' is a balanced combi TRS/XLR socket to XLR plug cable.

That is why the whole thing, from combi socket to XLR plug needs to be balanced.

Gotcha. I thought phantom had to do with balanced stuff. Also, I figured it would be TRS at the jack since I've plugged plenty of mono (TS) cables into stereo jacks (TRS) and they worked just fine.

Also guitars have very high output impedances and don't like to be loaded by low input impedances of some mixers/equipment. Not that it will damage anything but it won't sound good. The mixer does have pad controls which might help or even better would be to use an effects insert point on the mixer but this would render your cable making void. So either use a DI box or mic up a guitar amp, as already suggested.

I'll try and come up with a drawing later.

:)

Again, like my disclaimer at the top, does using an acoustic electric change things? My assumption is that it does since it doesn't use a pickup, like a traditional elec. guitar.

See, here's what I figured. Whoopdeedoo if it turns out not sounding good! For the price, it's cheaper to try it and have it work than to never have tried it at all. I mean, in the least, you come out with a balanced XLR AND TRS jack instead of just XLR. That's wonderful for different applications!

Can't do this!!! A guitar needs a DI box before it can run into an XLR input. Now if you are looking at the balanced/unbalanced output of a keyboard or synth, then yes, that can be connected to the XLR input of a mixing board. But not a guitar.

Again, see disclaimer that I forgot to put down.

You can plug the guitar, via a DI box like the Behringer DI100, into the combi socket that is wired to the XLR plug that goes into the mixer. The stereo version combi socket is ideal.

Okay. Well, good to know that if it doesn't work there are options out there to make it work if needed later on down the road.

Redundant, yes, but for the same price as a normal XLR? Shoot, I'll take combo any day!

You are correct in every assumption here.

Something like this is what I was thinking of...

ComboXLRTRStoXLR.jpg

Dude. You are awesome.

So that would be the "jumpers" so to speak to get both the TRS and XLR into 1 - 2 conductor shielded cable, then, correct!? Looks like it to me!

Again. You are awesome.

EDIT: Also, while we are on the same subject, what seems like better wire to you guys. This or this? I'll probably end up getting what turns out to be cheaper (not sure how much shipping will be on that 1000ft roll of WPC....whereas the 500ft roll of audiopipe from ebay has free shipping). Okay. Just checked shipping. With approval from you guys, I'll get the 1000ft roll (the second link) because shipping is only $16, making it $86 for 1,000ft of wire! That way I don't have to cut it close with the 500ft roll (looking at doing 4 runs at 100-125'...if it's 125' I can't make any mistakes).

EDIT #2: This wire would also be an option. So I guess the decision is THIS or THIS.. Looks like the difference is that the cheaper one (1st link) is tinned copper, the more expensive (2nd link) is bare copper.

Back
Top Bottom