ITT-Tech

iPwn

..m.0,0.m..,
Hey guys,
So I got my Vocational Rehab from the VA meaning I get all my schooling paid for. I'm debating going through a traditional 4 year school or going to ITT-Tech for Inforamtion Security Systems. Anyone here have experience with ITT-Tech? What do you guys suggest?

In this economy... Go to a 4 year school. Because, if anything, the economy might be back on track in 4 years. That, and you will have an edge on those that only went to a Tech program vs a Bachelors program. A lot of people that are just finishing a 4 year degree are just going back for more education now since there just aren't many jobs available.

My question is are you going to go to a campus or do it online?

If online I would definitely go to a 4 year school over ITT. It is way to over priced and if someone else with a brick and mortar school degree is up against you for a job unless you REALLY WOW them in an interview I think they would get the job over you because many people don't look at online degrees in the same light because they are easier in most cases.

I am not saying that online degrees are junk but what I am saying is you can get by with minimal effort if you are intelligent and honestly it doesn't benefit you as a person either if you choose to go that route. I am speaking from experience here because I took online classes for over 2 years but at a school which I attended for the beginning 2 years in a traditional brick and mortar setting but I really put forth an effort and graduated with a 4.0 GPA but the majority of the students had horrendous grades. The average students in most classes were either failing or very near to failing so many of the teachers gave a ridiculous amount of extra credit and also ended up scaling a lot of stuff which I felt is WRONG because you should get the grade you earn IMO. This made me slack a lot more because I knew my grades were going to get padded a little for the most part so I wasn't worried about getting all 90+ scores. The problem with that though is you are not getting as much out of your education and thinking back now I learned much more while actually in a classroom setting because it is not just all the text book you are also getting a lot of information from the actual instructor because MOST of them have a lot of real world experience in the field and not just a degree in that area. That is where much of the good stuff comes from because they give you great examples and real world information from experience not just from what they learned in a book. Also think about this too with classes like communication classes which IMO are VERY important for interview settings how much are you really getting out of it if you are doing it online.

Many online programs are looked upon as degree mills and most employers have the same opinion of them. I am glad my school had a traditional brick and mortar setting so my degree was the same as if I had gone to the school which means that employers cant tell the difference but schools like ITT, Capella, University of pheonix etc. get a bad rap in many cases from what I have seen.

If I was you I would just go ahead and go for the traditional school setting because I think it will benefit you more. Unless you are super dedicated the entire time and very self motivated.

I'm planning on doing the schooling down there on campus. So it's not completely online, but I've read some reviews of the school and it's about 50/50 with reviews. Hmmm

Yeah I would definitely still look into some 4 year schools and see what they have to offer but that is just me. school reviews are kinda tough to go by sometimes too because many reviews are from people who failed out or have a grudge with financial aid or something. But there is also some genuine reviews as well too. What you should be more concerned with is success stories from graduates. That is what really matters because if you plan on getting a degree from there it is important to know what types of jobs people have gotten after graduating.

Like I said it really matters what you get out of the school. After all if you gain a good education then where the degree comes from isn't all that important when it comes to tech jobs. The major thing that employers are going to look at is how well you know your stuff and how well you interview. The degree really is a requirement and will get you in the door but at the end of the day it is really about selling yourself and knowing what you are doing. Just because you get a degree from a top notch school isn't going to matter if you are a complete dope in terms of knowledge. Sure it may get you the job but 6 months down the road you may get fired for not knowing what you are supposed to know. So I guess the best advice I can give ya is no matter what your choice is make sure that you pay attention and learn as much as you can. If you take any education seriously no matter what school its from and really learn your stuff that piece of paper really doesn't matter as long as you can prove to an employer that you know what you are doing and can communicate effectively. Selling yourself really means more when getting a job then where your degree is from.

Go to a 4 year school if someone else is paying. I only went to a tech school because that's all I could afford. If money isn't a concern, as in your case, there is no up side to tech schools when compared to a real college.

Alright, I'm all set to go back to school at ITT, finally got all the paperwork signed and will be starting school Thursday at long last. Last time I was in school was several years ago so hopefully I do better this time than I did last time!

4 Year! I'm in the same situation, VA wise. I'm heading to Kansas State for Engineering with a pretty much paved path, I got very lucky.

Good luck to you in school!

Thanks! Good luck to you as well! What branch of the service were you in?
I was Marine Corps infantry, ground pounders :D

Back
Top Bottom