Quick processor question...

pc4life

Baseband Member
Does having two processors (dual core) mean that... well how do i put this... lets say i had a 2.5 GHz duel core processor. Does that mean i really have a 5 GHz processor? >> Sorry i don't fully understand that whole processor logic :p

That's not quite how it adds up. Having a dual-core or a quad-core means that you can run more threads simultaneously. New software is usually written with multiple threads in mind. The idea is that different cores can be working on a different thread to complete a different task. However, this simultaneous work is attempting to achieve the same goal.

*Please keep in mind I use the terms threads and cores loosely.

Here's a read that may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-core_processor

so lets say i have a 1.7 GHz dual core processor. In games would a 3.6 GHz single core be better?

That's a good question. It depends on how the program was written. If it was a more modern game, it was most likely designed to take advantage of 2 cores. In this case a 1.7GHz dual-core would be better. However, if you're playing an older game, then the 3.6Ghz single-core would outperform the dual-core.

That's a good question. It depends on how the program was written. If it was a more modern game, it was most likely designed to take advantage of 2 cores. In this case a 1.7GHz dual-core would be better. However, if you're playing an older game, then the 3.6Ghz single-core would outperform the dual-core.

This only works if the processors are identical other than the number of cores, which they won't be. Clock speed is one of the least important factors in actual processing speed. The architecture and technology on the chip is what makes the difference, clock speed can only be used to compare processors within the same series.

so lets say pcsx2 (if you know what that is) since that utilizes two cores the 1.7 would be the better choice for running that program?

Also if i WERE to play an older game, would it only run only on the 1.7 GHz processor as if there wasn't a second?

so lets say pcsx2 (if you know what that is) since that utilizes two cores the 1.7 would be the better choice for running that program?

Also if i WERE to play an older game, would it only run only on the 1.7 GHz processor as if there wasn't a second?

I'm pretty sure PCSX2 is threaded for multiple cores, so yeah, you would be better off with a newer processor.

Yes, but it would be a pretty dated game. Also, it would leave one core to take care of the OS and background stuff while your other core just did the game.

This only works if the processors are identical other than the number of cores, which they won't be. Clock speed is one of the least important factors in actual processing speed. The architecture and technology on the chip is what makes the difference, clock speed can only be used to compare processors within the same series.

I'm well aware of that. However, the nature of his question assumed the difference of only rated clock speeds and cores.

Among today's technology, Intel is the processor brand you want to get. Having said that, the most effective processor for a casual gamer and computer user would either be a Core 2 Duo E8xxx series (this is being phased out) or one of the newer LGA1156 i5 processors. The E8xxx are high clocked dual-core processors that use Intel's Core 2 architecture. If you want to future proof a little more, you might want to look at the i5 line-up of dual-cores and quad-cores.

It would really depend on what you're doing. I own an E8500 (? I forgot) rated at 2.93GHz. For everyday use, I can't tell the difference between my processing speed and my friend's Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz processor. If you're using something that requires a lot of processing power (like Folding@Home or maybe trying to max out crysis or a similar game) then, yes, you might notice a significant difference.

Back
Top Bottom