VPN Beta Testers Needed!

J03

~~~~~~~~
Evening all!

I made a post in Random Chitchat, and a few members contacted me - But I don't think that it was the ideal place to post!

I'm playing around with the idea of selling VPN accounts, and I could do with some people to beta test the service for me. I have a server in the US if you would like a US I.P., and I'm getting a UK server this evening for those of you who want a UK IP.

A UK IP will make other servers think that you are located in the UK, allowing you to access UK Only websites. Same thing for the US Server.

If you're interested, just post here (including the server location you'd like). Once you've tried the VPN out, it would be good if you could tell me the following:
  • Results from http://speedtest.net/ WITHOUT my VPN
  • Results from http://speedtest.net/ WITH VPN
  • Your Operating System (including architecture (i.e. 32bit or 64bit) and version (i.e. Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 13, Windows 7)
  • If you where in the market for such a service, the amount you would be willing to pay per month.
Once you've posted in this thread saying you're interested, I will send you a link to a ZIP file containing the configuration files you'll need, and a temporary password.

Once you've received the file, you will need to do the following (under windows):
  1. Download & install the OpenVPN Client from http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
  2. Extract the zip file to: "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config".
  3. Run OpenVPN GUI as an Administrator
  4. Right click on the tray icon, and press "Connect".
  5. Enter your password (which I have supplied), and press OK
  6. Cross your fingers ;)
Things might be a bit... "rough around the edges" to begin with, but it should all be fine in the end! :D

UPDATE:
For those of you who don't mind having a UK IP address, I'm trying out a new set up which should greatly increase the download speed compared to the other service... Just post here if you're interested!

Update 2:
The above method can now be used for US IP's too.

Thanks,

Joe

Not my area either. I know it means... Virtual private network?
Something proxy related was the only context i ever used one in, but icr what for

What are some UK sites out there lol.

Usually a VPN is good to get to your home network from a remote location. Then You can Terminal services into any of your computers at home using a Internal IP while your connected to your Public IP. Even get into your router. If that make since. I suck at explaining.

It stand's for Virtual Private Network. It basically connects you to my server, and my server acts as a router. So you will share the server's IP address.

The main UK site that springs to mind is iPlayer - There are also things like 4OD and ITV Player.

Great - thank you! I can't see why anything "bad" would happen. Bryn_UK, Dudelewis1, lucasbytegenius and Neodude have all tried it, and they haven't had anything bad happen! I'm not guaranteeing that your computer wont explode or anything... but OpenVPN is a very common piece of software which is user by hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people around the world!

I'll send you a PM :)

Great - thank you! I can't see why anything "bad" would happen. Bryn_UK, Dudelewis1, lucasbytegenius and Neodude have all tried it, and they haven't had anything bad happen! I'm not guaranteeing that your computer wont explode or anything... but OpenVPN is a very common piece of software which is user by hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people around the world!

I'll send you a PM :)

Sweet. I'll do the testing on my main rig this evening and report back.

OK Great. Would you rather a UK IP, or a US IP? That goes to you too, Remeniz - although i'm guessing you'd rather a US IP!

Back
Top Bottom