New CPU (or other hardware?)

Johnh

Baseband Member
Hello,

A few years ago i built my computer, and in the recent years it's been getting slower (with programs, games, etc) just because the hardware is a little older.

Im looking to upgrade a little. I was thinking about a new processor.

Would there be a noticeable speed difference moving from a (single core) pentium 3.0ghz w/ Hyper Threading proc to a dual core 3.06 or 2.9xxx?

I have 3g RAM, which seems standard these days?

if you have other suggestions please let me know!
I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a new cpu and not notice anything different.

Thanks a lot! :D

We'll need to know the exact model of your motherboard.

My guess right now is that for the money, it's not worth upgrading, but that'll depend on your motherboard, I guess.

ohhhhh goodness... it was so long ago that i got it...

It's an MSI board, socket LGA 775, my guess would be it's not even sold anymore... (more vague facts): it was red, came in a metallic box with something that looked like a ship out of star wars on the front... probably doesnt help at all...

but since im at work at the moment, that's all i got! lol

Thanks again!

Ok. When you get to your computer, run CPU-Z and click the mainboard tab to see the model number. Or you can pop the side off the computer and look for the model number on the board, as well.

Cheers!

Will do! Thanks a lot for the help so far!

I've been away from the forums for a while, but on other forums for various subjects, and i forgot how friendly people are here!

thanks!

oh! almost forgot,

you probably won't be able to answer this right now either without knowing the motherboard model, but i'm currently running at xfx 6200 graphics card. (AGP unfortunately) I think i bought it just before the industry started changing over towards the PCI-E cards. Would it make a noticeable difference if i upgraded that too? i know the selection of agp cards is somewhat sparse.

Price to performance ratio on APG cards is just wretched. I wouldn't recommend trying to step up in that category without moving to PCI-E.

Ok, so then new mainboard, new graphics card?

I found this one: BIOSTAR tp43E Combo LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX

I know under supported processors it says Dual core/ core 2 quad, etc. would that still work with my single core p4 prescott?

To be completely honest, I'd save up for a new computer...or at least a new CPU/MB/RAM/maybe graphics card combo.

To do slight upgrades like this would only be throwing your money down the drain.

Fair enough!

In that case, i'll hold off. I have plenty of money to put something together, but i suppose i should do the responsible thing and save it for tuition... lol

(also the reason i didnt buy a car)

either way,

Thanks for your help! :D

Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom