Lets play name that part!

It's not really needed to replace the ignition parts just yet. Three major things you do before starting a car that has been sitting for as long as that one has is:
Change the oil. It has broken down on its own by now. All you're doing is gauling out the bearings and scaring the cylinder walls.
Drain the gas tank and put in clean fresh fuel. Reason being the gas and water have separated and the water is at the bottom. It's getting sucked in to the engine first.
Change the fuel filter. Junk in it has solidified and will block the line.

This is basic stuff.

Then pull the plugs. Clean and gap them. The rotor button you can clean off with mom's emery board and reuse. Clean and reattach the battery connections.

As for what that is in the picture, it appears to be a vacuum sensor. Notice the wires comming out of the bottom of it. I'd bet real money it's telling the computer there is no vacuum on the system. If no vacuum, no start.

This is basic stuff.

As for what that is in the picture, it appears to be a vacuum sensor. Notice the wires comming out of the bottom of it. I'd bet real money it's telling the computer there is no vacuum on the system. If no vacuum, no start.

yes you can clean the rotor, i agree with you there, but if he is going to be USING this truck, not just get it started for 5 minutes, then dropping 85 dollars on a tuneup is nothing.

changing the oil goes without saying. but it wont grenade the engine if you get it started.

And there is no such thing as a "vacuum sensor" that tells the computer if there is vacuum. There is however on some cars a MAP sensor. meaning manifold absolute pressure. This is what the computer uses to adjust the fuel and ignition timings by sensing manifold pressure. HOWEVER even a bad map sensor will not cause a car to completely not start, it would just run like crap. FURTHERMORE that part pictured is NOT a map sensor, and it is a not a "vacuum sensor"

*also, i suggested to replace those parts because it is inexpensive and you WILL end up replacing them later on. And since you have all those things out of the way. the only thing left to check for really would be a fuel flow problem. Leaky injectors. bad fuel pump, clogged fuel filter.

but like i said. Check the simple stuff first. Blown fuses, Make sure you can hear the fuel pump turning on, replace fuel filter.

Update: So we ruled out everything but fuel. It wasn't getting fuel. So the first thing we did was take out the fuel filter and we were able to blow through it so that cant be it. On this year ford i guess there is 2 fuel pumps and also a gas sedimenter (thats what the book says, correct me if im wrong) One pump is in the fuel tank obviously and the other comes right after the fuel filter. Im gonna replace the fuel filter because theyre not that expensive and im also not sure the last time it was replaced. Im not really sure what to do after that.

Is there a way to test a fuel pump?

Is there a way to test a fuel pump? I say this because we ruled out the air and the spark. whats left is the fuel. It started with some carb cleaner in the throttle body but wouldn't stay running. So we ruled out the fuel filter today by taking it out and blowing threw it and it worked fine. Im gonna replace that because im not sure how long its been sitting in there but now whats left is the fuel pump. On this year ranger it has 2 fuel pumps. We noticed one right after the fuel filter and then theres obviously one inside the tank. Im not sure where to go from here

*Stereotypical trucker voice*

img20100606172109.jpg

Update: So we ruled out everything but fuel. It wasn't getting fuel. So the first thing we did was take out the fuel filter and we were able to blow through it so that cant be it. On this year ford i guess there is 2 fuel pumps and also a gas sedimenter (thats what the book says, correct me if im wrong) One pump is in the fuel tank obviously and the other comes right after the fuel filter. Im gonna replace the fuel filter because theyre not that expensive and im also not sure the last time it was replaced. Im not really sure what to do after that.

Is there a way to test a fuel pump?

Is there a way to test a fuel pump? I say this because we ruled out the air and the spark. whats left is the fuel. It started with some carb cleaner in the throttle body but wouldn't stay running. So we ruled out the fuel filter today by taking it out and blowing threw it and it worked fine. Im gonna replace that because im not sure how long its been sitting in there but now whats left is the fuel pump. On this year ranger it has 2 fuel pumps. We noticed one right after the fuel filter and then theres obviously one inside the tank. Im not sure where to go from here

if you have a test light or a multi meter, you can test the wires at the fuel pump plug, turn the key to the on position and see if the light lights up, or see if u got at least 12V at the pump, if you do have power, then u know the pump is bad, replace the pump.
-if you dont have power, well thats a different ball game, start by checking fuses and relays like i told you to do before. then get back to us.

Alright so what i did was listened and felt the pump while turning the key. You can feel it try but it just doesn't pump. Im replacing it this weekend with my paycheck. Ill definitely bump this thread and let you guys know (Someone post something useless so that i can bump it on either friday or saturday, lol thanks)

My 96 S10's fuel pump just went out a few days ago. It sucked but we could tell it waas going bad because it would idle fine but die (or run like crap) when you hit the gas. Another question I had is if you checked the O2 sensor.

Back
Top Bottom