Need Help With Diagnosing System Fault

iffy

In Runtime
Right guys please help.

scenario:
My system has been frrezing randomly or more so when several activities are taking place on the system. If USB devices are added, the system freezes pretty quickly. The system would do this in excess of ten times a day.

What I done so far:
Opened the side of the system and stuck a desktop fan inside the case to eliminate overheating.

Result:
The system did not crash or freeze at all under normal use, however I did add two usb devices to the system and the system ran pretty well for sometime but then decided to freeze. Rebboted the system with the devices added and the system crashed straightaway.

Findings:
The system definately reacted positively to the extra cooling, however loading the system with devices made it instable.

MY question:
What components could be faulty?
What should I do next?

UPDATE:
The system also tends to want to freeze when I run the disk defragment tool.

cheers bro, will do that.

Right, guys below is the details of when the system crashed. The fan wasn't running and I had the sytem under load, what can you see?
I have also posted the cpu and memory details, do I need to change the memory clocking rate in the BIOS to make the system perform better?

Sensor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)
Motherboard Name ASRock 775V88 / K7S41 / K7S8XE+ / K7Upgrade-600/880 / K7VT4A / K8S8X Series

Temperatures:
Motherboard 29 °C (84 °F)
CPU 36 °C (97 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 30 °C (86 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 3516 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.60 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 4.95 V
+12 V 12.60 V
+5 V Standby 4.99 V
Debug Info F FF 32 FF
Debug Info T 25 32 255
Debug Info V 65 00 D0 B9 C2 CB D6 (01)

Motherboard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID 62-P170-001368-00101111-040201-SIS$K7S41170_K7S41 BIOS P1.70
Motherboard Name ASRock K7S41

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 168 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 337 MHz
Bandwidth 2695 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 168 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 337 MHz
Bandwidth 2695 MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info:
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 462
Expansion Slots 2 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR
RAM Slots 2 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
Form Factor Micro ATX
Motherboard Size 200 mm x 240 mm
Motherboard Chipset SiS741
Extra Features Hybrid Booster

Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name ASRock Inc.
Product Information http://www.asrock.com/product/index.htm
BIOS Download http://www.asrock.com/support/index_BIOS.htm

Your voltages are fine.

I don't think it's a heat problem but make sure the CPU fan dust free and check that the CPU heatsink is secure.

Run Memtest86+ and see what, if any, errors it gives.

not updated the bios yet, but I swapped another identical fully functional psu into the system and the system kept crashing! Im pretty frustrated now.

With random intermittent faults such as these, especially freezing its probably your hard drive mate.
Get hiren 10.4 and do a hdd check by using the appropriate manufacturer. Do a quick scan first to see if this gives you an error (well fail message), if not try a long one before deciding.

Back
Top Bottom