hello CF! and a quick sos

invasian1919

Beta member
hello, newb here.

i am currently on my new asus N61J and lovin it.

reason i am writing though is because of my other machine a sony vaio VGC-LV180DJ. it quite literally just bombed out on me. the keyboard and mouse are both wireless. the first thing that happened was the keyboard and mouse lost connectivity. tried reconnecting, powering down etc and nothing.

so as a last resort i did a hard restart of the screen / HD. now i am getting nothing except a black screen (of death). its pretty helpless given that the keyboard and mouse are wireless (and ive never attached a wired keyboard) so i am not sure what else to do...

any insight would be much much appreciated!

Not quite sure what you mean here.

Firstly - where does this black screen of death appear? Before the thing has POSTed? Whilst booting? After windows has loaded? All mean very different things. What do you mean by doing a hard reset of the screen / HD? Did you just reboot, or reinstall windows?

Either way, if something's gone wrong at a low level you'll need a wired keyboard / mouse to sort it out. They cost next to nothing if you haven't got them already, and everyone should really have a cheap cabled keyboard and mouse around for situations like these.

some specs on my PC...

basically off the shelf LV180DJ

intel core 2 duo
4GB RAM 2GBx2
640 GB HD
blue ray optical drive
Vista OS

i can now get to the windows login screen..but it seems to be a problem with the wireless keyboard and mouse not picking up connectivity..? plugged in a USB mouse and keyboard but its not recognizing those either...

It will take a little bit for the wired USB mouse/keyboard to take effect the first time you plug them in. Also, it might be a USB problem so if the computer has PS/2 ports, try using them.

If you plug stuff into the PS/2 ports, you'll have to restart your computer because they're not plug'n'play.

unfortunately i dont have PS/2 ports and ive waited about 30 minutes now with both the wired mouse / keyboard plugged in...tried each of the usb ports..does windows not allow new usb devices to be able to be discovered at the login screen?

It should. Restart the computer if it's giving you issues. Make sure you're not going through a external hub.

thanks..seems like the trick is some wired keyboards / mice dont get recognized at the login screen whereas others do.

Back
Top Bottom