Pc help: Bad ram/bad mobo/ bad PS???

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
I have a small problem with ram in my comp, I have been trying to deal with this for a while, but now I'm down 512mb, and need an answer fast.

Here is the situation:

I ussually have 2.25gb of DDR2 ram in my comp, with an extra 256 400mhz for the extra speed.

However, the ram sometimes gennerates errors while playing a high level game, that usses all my ram, and gennerates and error sayin g: Memory could not be read, press any key to terminate the application, in a windows error form.

I am now short 256 of my DDR2, for installation on my grandpas comp, which is *STILL* uncomplete...

So I swapped out my 256 for my 512, which combined ussually would cut off power to my vid card.

Now, I causes a bluescreen upon closing an application, so now I'm down to 2gb.

My thoughts wewre:

a $35 upgrade to a 750W power supply, then jamm all my ram back in there( I have a 450 W)

The slot that ussually cut off power, was bad and causing errors, again...

My 400mhz ram slots need motherboard drivers.

Also: When I get my new motherboard, and my Cpu, I WILL get a new power supply and a new case, and some ram thats faster than 166mhz...

Some of your ram cards are flakey. If you plug one in are you shutting down the comp and killing the psu? If you jam ram in while the system is hot it will cause the system to drop out or bsod.
Plus all of the ram needs to match as closely as possible. Popping in what you have on hand some times just doesn't work.

No, I always mess with my comps unplugged, but with the ram in, and the old scenario, It would turn on, with the monitor saying no signal input...

I tried running a test, but it doesn't like opening any applications either...

If you need to know, I got my ram from a dell, in my avatar, which i do not know the past of.

Back
Top Bottom