Multiple HDD's for audio editing

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
I've heard that if you use multiple harddrives, you can greatly increase the speed of audio and video editing. I can not seem to get any info from google on the subject though, so here I am :D

Basically, I just want to know if the drives need to be the same size, speeds, etc. I would also like to know how they should be configured (just two drives, RAID0/1/5, etc.) and what all it should speed up. My current computer is in my sig, if there's something else I should upgrade first. Thanks for your help :)

RAID0 must be what you are talking about. It will speed up any save/load times by a pretty good bit. The drives do need to be the same modelfor it to work properly though.

Yea,

With video/audio/editing/production it's much better to have at least one separate hard drive where you save your video/audio tracks. So you'd have your OS and app's on one drive and you would save all your audio/video data on a second, fast, big, hard drive. This is because you leave the streaming drive alone to do what it has to do - stream ,in real time, huge chunks of audio/video information to the audio/video editing application.

RAID is good although if your using two streaming drives for RAID 0 then have a back up system, you don't want to loose all your projects should a drive fail. I personally would use one streaming drive, add a removable HD caddy to the computer and slide in a HD once a week, or how often you desire, to do backups.

Yea,

With video/audio/editing/production it's much better to have at least one separate hard drive where you save your video/audio tracks. So you'd have your OS and app's on one drive and you would save all your audio/video data on a second, fast, big, hard drive. This is because you leave the streaming drive alone to do what it has to do - stream ,in real time, huge chunks of audio/video information to the audio/video editing application.

RAID is good although if your using two streaming drives for RAID 0 then have a back up system, you don't want to loose all your projects should a drive fail. I personally would use one streaming drive, add a removable HD caddy to the computer and slide in a HD once a week, or how often you desire, to do backups.
I'm just using this for songs for my band, so it's not anything that's massively important or anything. I do edit them quite a bit though, so I was thinking that even if it saves a little bit of time to do something, it will save me that time every time I do it. All in all, I will be willing to spend ~$100 to do whatever I can to make this computer better for audio editing. I would just like to know where the best place to put that money would be. Would I be ok buying an SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227510)?

I'm just using this for songs for my band, so it's not anything that's massively important or anything.

So you don't rate your band too highly then? :p

Only kidding. What software are you editing in?

I do edit them quite a bit though, so I was thinking that even if it saves a little bit of time to do something, it will save me that time every time I do it. All in all, I will be willing to spend ~$100 to do whatever I can to make this computer better for audio editing. I would just like to know where the best place to put that money would be. Would I be ok buying an SSD (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227510)?

The SSD is ok but my problem with them is the GB/£$ ratio is stupid and an F3 or Caviar Black will perform just as well especially if your editing a few tracks and/or a video and you'll have more space.

I'm not editing video, yet, but I can edit more than 60 audio tracks @ 48K-24bit in Nuendo 4 streaming from an F3 hard drive without a hitch.

So yea the SSD is great if you wanna spend the money but you might not see any speed gain in editing over a plattered HD.

Multiple HDs? Pro Tools does that.
I'm using Adobe Audition at the moment, and love it.
So you don't rate your band too highly then? :p

Only kidding. What software are you editing in?

The SSD is ok but my problem with them is the GB/£$ ratio is stupid and an F3 or Caviar Black will perform just as well especially if your editing a few tracks and/or a video and you'll have more space.

I'm not editing video, yet, but I can edit more than 60 audio tracks @ 48K-24bit in Nuendo 4 streaming from an F3 hard drive without a hitch.

So yea the SSD is great if you wanna spend the money but you might not see any speed gain in editing over a plattered HD.

It's not that, but I'll have backups somewhere as will everyone else in the band, not to mention uploaded somewhere, and we can easily re record it if need be.

I'm using Adobe Audition.

I agree that the size to price ratio sucks, but there's no way I can fill 32gb with just edited music, regardless of the quality :p But if a Caviar Black will perform just as well, I'll go with that. I have a 1tb Caviar Black right now, and it's the fastest HDD I've ever used :]

Multiple HDs? Pro Tools does that.

So do other DAW software...

I'm using Adobe Audition at the moment, and love it.

Sweet. I still use Cool Edit Pro, pre Adobe Audition, for analytical stuff. It's great for that.

...But if a Caviar Black will perform just as well, I'll go with that. I have a 1tb Caviar Black right now, and it's the fastest HDD I've ever used :]

Caviar Black it is then.

:D

So do other DAW software...

Sweet. I still use Cool Edit Pro, pre Adobe Audition, for analytical stuff. It's great for that.

Caviar Black it is then.

:D

Sounds good then. Any recommended minimum size? I think I'm gonna go for a 320gb, just to stay low on my budget. I want to get a new guitar for on these recordings as well :p

Back
Top Bottom