Can't Log in to Windows Vista

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
I'm currently working on a computer that cannot log on in normal mode.

I can get on just fine in safe mode.

Here's some facts, first.

1) It HAD a password. When at the login prompt, you could type the password, but could not hit enter or click the button. Neither would do anything.

2) I went into safemode and removed the password. This caused many issues. Sometimes it would just stall at the Vista loading screen and loop endlessly. Other times it would load up the task bar with a black background and everything was just inaccessible--you couldn't click or bring up task manager.

Here's what I've done.

1) Tried system restore in the System Repair thing for Vista (F8 on startup and whatnot). What happens is that this says that there is already one in progress and that I should reboot to do it. Well, you reboot and it just says the same thing. Something's botched.

2) I tried to run sfc /scannow in cmd in that System Repair deal and it says the above message about having to reboot or what not. Again, this loops.

3) I ran chkdsk. It found nothing.

4) I ran both of the above in cmd in safemode. The sfc command said that some things could not be repaired and to check the CBS (I think that was the name) Log. Well, I checked it and could find nothing that said it couldn't be repaired or whatnot. Again. Something's gotta be botched. The chkdsk I ran in safemode was fine, again.

Things I have not done: I have not run a virus scan. Why? Well you can't install anything in safemode...so....the only thing on there is bitdefender, I THINK. I do not think it is a virus though. I ran msconfig to look at startup items and I didn't see anything suspicious. I also looked at the services to see if something was stopped and on manual that might be causing this to happen, but nothing.

Any ideas before I take the hard drive out, back up the files, and reinstall?

Thanks guys.

No, actually it doesn't sound like a virus. It sounds like something is corrupt that can't be fixed. There are a few articles on microsoft about it. It can happen if disk caching is enabled (not sure if it is) and the power button is held to shut the computer off. Or, if the power is cut. Like I said, I saw no signs of a virus. No odd DLLs in system32 folder. No odd programs in the program files folder. Nothing in the startup entry. Nothing wacky in services. Hosts files is clean. Etc, etc.

You could try Alex_tom's technique:
1. Put your hard disk in any other pc.
2. Boot computer and use your hard disk as a secondary hard
3. Then open that drives in which the target window is installed.
4. Go to windows->system32->config and delete SAM.exe and SAM. Log files
5. now remove hard disk, and boot your computer

Great you have done it.

Alex_tom
Or you could try my technique:
Download this iso at www.sysresccd.org. Burn it and boot. Type "ntpass" at the prompt and follow the instructions. To get more info, go to http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-m...t_floppy_disks.

And you aren't going to explain what any of that does?

And those links go nowhere. I surely hope that's not supposed to be spam.

Also, the advice above seems to be dealing with a forgotten password. If you would have read thoroughly, the password has since been removed and wasn't forgotten in the first place.

I fixed the first link. You said plural when there was only one misspelled link ;). Anyway, it may help you without harm to your system. The ntpass command on the CD will go into the registry and clear the password. I heard of this issue somewhere, and the guy said he cleared the password with something.

It probabbly is a virus in your system. If you can't access the internet and install a virus scanner use a different computer and load Malwarebytes or Spybot on a flash drive. Then put the flash drive in your computer and load Malwarebytes or Spybot. If this doesn't work install Trend Micro HijackThis using the same method and post the log.

Back
Top Bottom