Help with new power supply

bluefire48

Beta member
Hello everyone,
I have an HP Pavilion p6310y I would like to stick in an ATI 5570 graphics card. Problem is the system only came with a 300 watt PSU, ATI's site recommends 400 watt. Do I need to be careful which PSU I buy? Can anyone recommend an affordable 400+ watt unit please that will not harm my machine?
p.s. I heard a rumor that I can get away with my 300 watt unit and the 5570, should I try this, or will I risk harming my machine? Thanks!

Hey Bluefire48. If your not going to be running crossfire, I would recommend going with a less expensive PSU if you don't want to drop a lot of cash. I just bought a 600W Chiefmax at my local pc shop for $20.00 and it works the same as my $100+ Ultra PSU that went out on me!
Here's a link to the Chiefmax 650W for $24.00

Duel +12v rails. I should have bought that Rosewill. Not to high jack the thread, but do you think my system is underpowered with the Chiefmax?

It's not underpowered aRandomFlak, I just wouldn't trust the thing as far as I can through it. They aren't known as being reliable, quality power supplies. Not to worry, I've had cheapo PSU last for years, you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom