Fixed a virus. Now IE won't connect to internet but FF will.

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Guys. I'm going to pull my f'ing hair out. I've been working on a machine for the past 5 hours. It's an XP machine. Story goes as follows:

Had virus. Ran MBAM. Ran AVAST boot-time scan. Ran Spybot S&D. Got rid of virus. No more alerts on start-up, everything working fine on computer EXCEPT THE F'ING INTERNET.

Hosts file is clean with just the one entry for 127.0.0.1.

No unusual DLLs in the System32 folder.

I believe I have deleted every temp folder available.

The problem is this, I can't get on the internet with IE. However, Firefox works just fine. I uninstalled and then reinstalled IE8, as well, to no avail. I'm f'ing stuck and I don't know what to do next. I don't understand what the deal is.

IE comes up with this page, HOWEVER, the URL ALWAYS gets redirected to "http:///" (yes THREE slashes!!!) when typing in an address. I DO NOT GET IT!!!!! ARGHH!

Please help me not go bald.

EDIT: This has to be important. In command prompt, I can ping almost any site (with the actual name) like google, or my own personal site....BUT I CANNOT PING ANYTHING MICROSOFT RELATED. It won't ping bing, msn, or microsoft itself. I'm so f'ing confused.

Try system restore to a different date?

It seems like malaware that hasn't been deleted yet.

Did you run that virus scan in safe mod, also?

Avast scans in bootmode...which is on restart before windows is started...so yes. I'm about to go try some scans and ccleaner in safemode. FML. This is a nightmare. One of the worst I've ever dealt with. It sounds like something is f'ing with IE, but I don't know what.

SysRestore is a no-go. Saying it cannot restore. I've tried 5 different days. Can't go back any further. FML.

did you check to make sure that these viruses didn't set up ie to use some weird proxy server?

Maybe try disconnecting from the internet completely by pulling out the cable or disconnecting from wireless deleting every network setting on the computer and try connecting with a fresh start. By this I mean delete the connection under my network places and connections

You know, when I was breezing through the Spybot setup I could've sworn I saw some weird address but I can't figure out how to get back to that. I'll try deleting the connection and all that.

How would I make sure it's not using some proxy? Reset IE's settings or?

And guess who now feels like a big huge dumbass. Me.

It was set to use a proxy.

Thank God for Mike. I appreciate it man. I've been going nuts.

Don't feel bad dude. I just went through that on my wife's machine. Killed the malware, but couldn't connect with IE. Turns out, just like yours, the virus reset the proxy settings.

Don'tcha hate it when you think you've tried everything? (ya know, everything you slowly learn as you fix computers) And then you can't figure it out. You feel like you've exhausted every resource and thing that you've ever learned. Then someone (thankfully) comes along and points out that really easy thing you never thought to do. Haha.

Oh well. You live and learn. Now, I'll remember the proxy thing the next time I fix a virus if I have the same issue. I guess that's how learning works...and in a way, that's a good way to have it be done.

I hate it when I'm working on a paying customer's computer and I can't figure out how to get it running correctly. There is the added pressure of working on a comp that isn't yours and the added shame of having to give it back and say I wasn't able to fix the problem.

So never give up on these things and see them through

Yup. This is the reason I will never ever ever ever charge hourly rates. I'd feel like I'm ripping people off.

Back
Top Bottom