firebird

1979-Pontiac-TransAM-Y88-ID0055-DSC04419.jpg

Is yours an F-body? I dunno when the F-body started...
Yep, they used the F body in all the firebird/ trans ams i belive... the F body ran from 1967 until 2002

I spent about 2 hours tearing down the front end, didnt take pictures yet. I hooked up the starter to see if it would spin the enine, and it turned alright. Removed the lights, hood, bumper, bumped support. Most of the bodywork is the front end needs to be replaced, its in rough shape... The engine needs full restoration to run again, part of a 350 in there.... I'm still not sure if I should keep the 350 or put in something a little different whilst the front of the cars all off anyways.
33352660026_large.jpg

This is the engine at the moment, part of a 350 engine. He said it would be rebuilt with a .020 bore... I think I see why he took it off the road, one of the pistons has a chunk out of it. There doesnt apear to be any damage to anywhere else on the block so I think its still ok.
33352660004_large.jpg

Well I I found a new 350 engine with less km's on it and actually complete, lol... $300 for it and the starter, alternation, all that jazz. All I'll need to get it started should be a radiator, belt, and a new wiring harness.. I'm going to pick up the engine tonihgt

damn nice cars :eek: I'll probably paint it myself if I can find the appropriate decals, but that might be like a needle in a haystack. Although I do have the proper tools to repaint a car, I repainted my friends old '92 F150 once, it turned out fine. I'm thinking painting her Black with Gold trim like so

pontiac_trans_am_1979.jpg

Im picked up the engine this afternoon and began dropping it in. Physically installed the engine block, later tonight and tomorrow I'm going to attach everything to it, hook up the starter, alternator, belt, etc... Maybe by the day after tomorrow it might run for the first time in years, I hope the transmissions still alright...
Heres half way through engine swapping
33352660028_large.jpg

Me and 4 friends worked most of yeserday, all night, and all morning today... took everything out and resprayed all the body under the hood flat black while the engine was out, dropped the engine, installed the starter, alternator, radiator, carbereutor, and all that jazz, hooked up the gas, rad fans... More work than I thought we could do in 24 solid hours. Were crashing now, tonight were going to put the front clip back together, put in the wiring harness, and the new gas pump.

Update: Coughed to a start for the first time in 4 years! :D
I might bring it for a spin around the block later, try it out... Ill get a video

189-8975_IMG.JPG

Brought her out for a small rip.. didnt go far once i realized that ONLY the back drivers side break was working!
here's the video, sorry I couldnt get much, my cameras battery died so the video ended very promptly....:

http://winslow333.webs.com/index.htm

Wow, you got pretty far, pretty quick! I like the black and gold.
I've been looking for a new project. I got rid of my mustang(most of it so far) and actually made a little money on it by parting it out, lol. Now I'm looking into an RX7 or another Mustang. Either way, my 302 is going into it. And I want to sell my AOD so I can pick up a T5, but I don't think that will happen this summer.

Back
Top Bottom