Firewalls query

John Bull

In Runtime
Having used Firewalls for many years, I am not aware that they update regularly like other programs - never seen an update pop-up.

I use Comodo Firewall Pro - v3 and cannot remember seeing an update panel.

It is confused at present since Comodo blended the Firewall in with their AV to become Comodo IS - v4. They do put an update pop-up on screen for my v3 Firewall, but it is for CIS - v4 complete and I do not want it. I have tried their Firewall only in v4 five times and it does not work. Ceases to function after a few minutes. So I have to re-install the old v3, which does work.

I have told Comodo about this Firewall failure in detail, but have had no reply other than they are looking into it.

1. Do Firewalls update ?
2. Any clues why CIS - v4 Firewall fails every time, with or without the AV complete package ?

Many thanks
John Bull

1. Yes, firewalls will update when needed. I'm sure you can also do manual updates.

2. It would help to know what operating system you are running.

1. Yes, firewalls will update when needed. I'm sure you can also do manual updates.

2. It would help to know what operating system you are running.

Hello and thanks for the interest.

Best I can do is list this :-
Wndows 2002 XP Home, SP3 and Firefox 3.6.3
Comodo Firewall Pro Free for my firewall.
AVG9 Free for my AV, ASpyW, Link Scanner, Email Scanner, ResidentShield and SpywareBlaster as a trip-wire.

MBAM, A-Square AM, A-Square HighJack Free, Comodo System Cleaner, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool as ad-lib regular manual sweepers.

CCleaner, Auslogics Defrag, Piriform Defrag for daily housekeeping.

Sysinternals Process Explorer to partner Windows Task Manager.

Everything works like a dream except Comodo`s CIS-v4 Firewall.

If i get too puked off with Comodo, i will simply use AVG9 plus another highly respected Firewall freebie - there are several to choose from.
John Bull

Having used Firewalls for many years, I am not aware that they update regularly like other programs - never seen an update pop-up.

I use Comodo Firewall Pro - v3 and cannot remember seeing an update panel.

It is confused at present since Comodo blended the Firewall in with their AV to become Comodo IS - v4. They do put an update pop-up on screen for my v3 Firewall, but it is for CIS - v4 complete and I do not want it. I have tried their Firewall only in v4 five times and it does not work. Ceases to function after a few minutes. So I have to re-install the old v3, which does work.

I have told Comodo about this Firewall failure in detail, but have had no reply other than they are looking into it.

1. Do Firewalls update ?
2. Any clues why CIS - v4 Firewall fails every time, with or without the AV complete package ?

Many thanks
John Bull
do you have any other anti virus on the machine?
you'll probably have to un-install it.

and for me, that's where I'd draw the line...

there are a ton of free firewall programs,
heck even the windows firewall is 'good enough' for personal use.

ask me am I going to remove my trusted AV, for an offering tied into a vendor who is practically unheard of for AV offerings? -the answer is no...

firewalls don't usually update as they are fairly static, usually a new version will come out before an update comes out.

Thank you all for your comments. They make a lot of sense.

It looks like Firewall`s do not update online like AV`s do. I do not know how Firewall`s work, but guess it is on a data base principle like all the AV`s. The good old match and no-match method.

If so, as AV`s need to update almost daily due to new intruder growth in a permanent chase the rabbit game, then why not Firewall`s ? Surely any matching system cannot stay static.

Most of my Firewall kills are from the Far East with China being up front.
I don`t know what I have done to the Chinese to inspire this personal attraction, unless the grape-vine has tipped them off that I just love their take-away`s or I am still sulking over the loss of Hong Kong.

John Bull

it's easiest to think of it like this...

your computer is a country, much like Britain. in order for any good to get into or out of Britain it must travel through a port.

same with your computer, for data to get in or out it must go through a port.
but instead of ports having names like Dover and Heathrow they are just numbered.

when you browse to a website you leave your computer on an unspecified randomly high numbered port and your destination is port 80 on the remote server.
it's port 80 because that's the port that http servers monitor for people requesting information from them.
when you get to that port 80 on the remote server, the server sees where you're from, because all the data travels over the internet travels in packets that have sender and destination information information, and replied back to you at your computer on the same port that the request came from...

A firewall is much like border security.
it stop people getting in or out as specified.

your firewall will probably block port 80 inbound, because you don't have a web server, why would you need the web server well known port open? any people trying to get in here will be turned away.

(in fact your home firewall is likely to block all web ports in).

I said earlier that when you leave you leave and return on an unspecified high port.
then I said that your firewall blocks all incoming ports.

so how does the data get back? -surely blocking all ports would mean nothing could get to your computer?

most firewalls are known as state-full firewalls,
that is to say that they remember when you left and allow you to come back...

so when you leave on port 1234 going to a web server on port 80, your firewall knows to expect a reply from that server and leaves the door open for that server...

that's the simple job of a firewall...

assuming it works once, (and no ways are found to get around it or exploit it) then you might never need to upgrade it.

as you say, anti virus on the other hand needs to be updated all the time because new viruses are being written all the time.

Oh Root,

Root :-
What a great reply, I thoroughly understand it. Now I know how the Firewall works and am very pleased I asked the question.

Sorry for the late reply, I have`nt been on the box for a while.
Thank you
John

Back
Top Bottom