Help! I need to get rid of GRUB

USB CD drive? IF no, I'm sure the laptop, though old, has a Serial (RS232) port, and can be converted to USB 2.0 with a converter cable. You could then use a coupler for both male USB ends + the USB CD drive.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the posts thoroughly and see you have posted it possesses no Serial port. :|

I'm following in Dude's idea here. You could pop the drive out, and assuming it's PATA 2.5", use a USB "toaster" to connect the drive to a desktop for editing.

Yes, but how do I edit it? I've formatted and repartitioned several times.
Hey (bing!) maybe I can pull the "fixmbr" command off my XP CD and use that in the command line on my desktop?

There is also a recovery console in the XP install disk. As well as Vista/7 install disks. Press R when the screen comes up. You could also use something like UBCD to create a RAM-loaded OS for repair purposes. That would save you from having to take out the HDD.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. You don't have USB boot, or a CD drive :|

As for "editing", wipe the drive. Then clear all formatting and partitioning. Re-initialize the drive, and format.

I "edited" it 4 times as I said in my original post. I know about the Recovery Console as I explained to berry120 in post #4. I am working on seeing if I can pull the "fixmbr" command from my XP CD and use it with the HD hooked up to my desktop. Any suggestions?
And you have one cool computer according to your signature :)

If you have the drive connected to your desktop, go into Disk Management, delete any partitions on it, and reformat the thing.

You have to run "fixboot" as well as "fixmbr". That worked for me when I uninstalled Fedora Core 4 a long time ago.

Put the hard drive in your notebook hdd dock, insert an xp cd in the notebook and run "fixboot" and "fixmbr". If you can't do that then I have no idea what else you can do.

'sigh'. Oh, when are people going to read my posts? How long will I have to tolerate this world? How many times must I say this simple thing? THIS LAPTOP HAS NO CD DRIVE, CANNOT BOOT FROM USB, HAS NO SERIAL, PRINTER, IEEE-1394, OR FLOPPY DRIVE. Now, here is my newest idea: The laptop has a Ethernet port; which leads to the question, How can I get a system set up so I can boot from the network? It supports and has enabled network boot, I have a spare system. ALL COMPUTER NERDS, EXPERTS, PROS, ITs, OR WHATEVER YOU CALL YERSELVES, LEND ME YOUR WISDOM AND EXPERIENCE!

Back
Top Bottom