HP turns on 3 seconds, then turns off...

Rmp5s

In Runtime
I'm lost. I was workin on a buddy's HP Pavilion dv6910US laptop when it decided to do something that completely baffles me...

I installed the OS (win 7 ultimate) and it was working great. Used it for about an hour/hour and a half. Noticed the speakers weren't working. Installed 8-10 updates/drivers and, when it restarted after the install...

...I hit the power button, it comes on for 3 seconds, then shuts off...then comes on again on its own for 3 seconds, then shuts off...ad nauseum...

I'm lost. I have no idea what to do with it cuz it doesn't even get to the BIOS. Doesn't get ANYWHERE...

I don't get it. What can I do?

This is a shot in the dark but try unplugging it, removing the battery, and unplugging the motherboard's battery which is usually accessible in one of the rear panels and attempt turning it on a few times then plug everything back in and turn it on.

I already did unplug it, take out the battery and hold the power button for about 30 sec to drain the power completely and it didn't help anything. I am going to mess with it some more later today and I'll post any findings.

try taking out the harddrive and seeing if it will boot to the bios. Just sort of a shot in the dark...

It could have overheated bigtime. It sounds like a hardware issue to me. Try taking out some of the RAM (interchanging cards one by one and turning it on after each change). This may or may not work, so do this after Rmp5s's and GibsonSGKing's suggestions. If you look on the dark side, something may have melted. Just tell your friend that the interrogation lamp got a little too close when you were skeptical of Windows 7:D

I figured out what was wrong with it!

Apparently, if you have it sitting on your lap for too long, it will over heat and do this. Kind of unique response to over heating...I've seen computers freeze, BSOD and/or just flat out die from over heating but never turn on and off on their own.

So...this is one for the notebooks! Thanks a million for all the help!

Now I'm having trouble getting some drivers to work on the thing but that'll be a seperate thread. I'll create it and post a link here to it later on for anyone that is familiar with nVidia drivers. Thanks!!

--Brent

EDIT: I posted this originally on my cell phone (Android FTW!!) and didn't have time to read all the posts. The first 4 words in Lucas' post hit the nail on the head and earned him a rep point! I thought this could have been the issue so I let it sit for a while but it's still a really odd thing it was doin. Good call, Lucas!!

Here's the new thread for the drivers if anyone thinks they can help:

http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?p=1036948#post1036948

Back
Top Bottom