Is my hard disk on the die?

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi,

It seems that sometimes when I'm using my computer it becomes unresponsive. This happens in two ways:

I can still move my mouse around and draw boxes on the desktop, but windows explorer becomes unresponsive, any games often become unresponsive, and sometimes internet browser windows. After a little while it sorts it self out. I can here my 1tb maxtor S TM31000333AS click every so often. So, I'm guessing in this scenario, the computer can continue to run off what ever is in the RAM, but freezes when disk access occurs?

It can always happen that my mouse freezes and any sound currently playing will just slur. This requires a complete restart. Sometimes this follows the previous scenario above. I guess in this scenario the disk has crashed and require a hard boot to sort it out.

What should I do? It can happen any time, sometimes it wont happen for days. I have recently defragged my disk and it seems it's happening more frequently (maybe data was moved to a nasty part of a platter). I believe the disk is still in warranty as I got it last July.

Thanks
Thomas

Clicks of DEATH! Backup immediately. Even if it doesn't die, 1tb of data is still a lot to lose.

Oh and don't forget to PANIC!

Clicks of DEATH! Backup immediately. Even if it doesn't die, 1tb of data is still a lot to lose.

Oh and don't forget to PANIC!

:p

This. Is it a Hitachi Deathstar by any chance? XD

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Deskstar is the name of a product line of computer hard drives. It was originally announced by IBM in October 1994[1]. The line was continued by Hitachi when in 2003 it bought IBM's hard drive division and renamed it Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST).

The last of the Deskstar series produced under the IBM name was the 180GXP; the first was the DALA-3540[1]

HGST continued the product line after the acquisition, selling the Deskstar 120GXP and Deskstar 180GXP under its brand for a short time and selling new models thereafter.
Contents
[hide]

The IBM Deskstar 75GXP (as well as several other models made around the same time) became infamous for their reportedly high failure rates[2], with more than 50% of the drives failing within the first year from purchase, sometimes in only weeks or days. Some users reported the drives being dead on arrival. This led to the drives being colloquially referred to as "Deathstars"[3]. Due to this, the drives were ranked 18th in PC World's "Worst Tech Products of All Time" feature in 2006.[4] [5]
[edit] Lawsuit

Despite failures being reported within the manufacturer warranty period of three years, Michael T. Granito, Jr., an American user of IBM's 75GXP hard drives, filed a class-action lawsuit against IBM on 16th October 2001 for defects in the product causing it to "crash", with both of the drives he'd bought having failed within a short time. [6] IBM was found to have misled its customers about the reliability of the drives. Without admitting responsibility, they settled this lawsuit in 2005, agreeing to pay $100 to every user whose Deskstar 75GXP drives had failed.[7]

We have both Seagate and Maxtor drives running quite happily in multiple machines here. I've been using them for years. Only had one die on me.

Whenever I hear any mention of Seagate or Maxtor, I panic and scream!

Seagate isn't bad, I have one of their external drives and it's served faithfully every day for quite some time now. It does have an annoying auto sleep feature thing that i can't turn off though. I guess it's probably for the better though.

Can't say I have good opinions of Maxtor though. I stick with WD mostly, with the occasional Seagate.

Seagate is Maxtor (or vice versa). Any way the tool doesn't work on 2 of my 4 HDD, one being the 1tb. Just says it's unavailable. It hasn't acted up today, but do you recommend I put in a warranty request and return it?

Interestingly enough a maxtor has gone on me before (40gb disk). Rememeber it clicking away. Tick tock. I would come in and the pc would be on a BOSD though.

This is what I get for getting the cheapest 1tb on the market! Oh well I'd do it again!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom