Wireless Repeater

CarterVol3

Solid State Member
I am thinking about buying a wireless repeater to strengthen the strength of my wireless connection around the house. I was just wondering what type of repeater is the best to go with and if setting up a wireless repeater is something I would be able to do myself or if I would need to have someone come do it for me. My computer knowledge is pretty average for your 21 year old. Thank you for any suggestions and help in advanced.

-Kyle

Speaking from my personal experience, I just recently flashed a spare Linksys WRT54GS router I had laying around with DD-WRT firmware, and after some very extensive tweaking managed enable it as a wireless repeater. This I would not recommend to anyone who doesn't have alot of time to burn. You'd save alot of hassle by buying a dedicated unit built for the job.

Maybe something like this would fit the bill:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=wireless_repeater-_-33-320-025-_-Product

Is your wireless network wireless-G or N, as the previous unit would only support G speeds?

It is a wireless-g router. Yea I think I'm going to stick with the unit that is already set up, I'm pretty sure that would be best for me. Did the repeater make a noticeable amount of difference throughout your house? Thank you for the link.

Yes, it absolutely did. I could get some limited signal in my room in the upstairs area (router is downstairs), but it was mostly a huge deadzone as you got further from the router (and had more structural elements in the way). Now with the repeater, the whole house is covered and then some. Very big difference, at least in our situation.

Back
Top Bottom