G-pa needs some help with his OS and Motherboard, any tips?

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
My G-pa has been solving the confusing puzzle of his new computer of awesomeness since January, I've tried to help him, but I thought it'd be time I brought it to this place.

My grandpa is building a super uber computer to replace his old Dell. I encouraged him to try to install windows on it, but Windows Installation Freezes up after some period of time and never finishes installing. This is what we tried doing:

Starting windows off of dell
Using different CD - Rom
Using different Installation disks
Using different HD's
Telling it to repair windows, then reinstall it after it crashed
Removing Dell HD
Using Windows XP Sp1
Removing 2gb Ram, not knowing if it was specific to the Dell system.

I have a feeling this is OS and Hardware Related, so here are the specsof each and every part we used in this "Experiment"

Old comp:
Dell Dimension 6350
Intel Pentium D 2.66Ghz
3gb DDR2 Ram
160gb Sata W/ Dell COA Windows XP MCE Sp2
300gb IED W/ unknown stuff(came out of a server)
Nvidea Geforce 8600 GT/GTS
Windows XP MCE Sp2

New Comp:
Custom/whitebox
Amd Athlon II X3
3gb DDR2 Ram from dell
160gb Sata W/ Dell COA Windows XP MCE Sp2
300gb IED W/ Unknown stuff
Nvidea Geforce 8600GT/GTS (aftermarket, not origionally from Dell)
Windows XP MCE Sp2/ No Working OS

Other Hardeware used

3 different Windows XP Sp1 / Sp2 Installation disks
2 different 8x Cd Roms
40Gb IED HD
Origional Dell 350 Watt Power supply
Nvidea Geforce 8500 GT
Nvidea Geforce NVS 22/150
Radeon 9200 PCI

I, and most definatly, my G-pa will be happy if you come up with any other suggestions to try.

If the installation discs are from Dell, they usually lock their OS install to dell-specific motherboards, so that could be the culprit.

yes, clean install.

He believes we need XP Sp3, not Sp2 or Sp1.

The installation disks are from random stuff my dad has bought over the years.

-And we tried installing it on the 300gb only, with the dell os not in the pc.
He also thinks that the ram might be locked to the dell too, creating problems at start up.

RAM is not locked to the dell. The only thing that is, is the motherboard and the OS itself.

You can use SP1 or SP2, just be ready for a lot of update installs.

My thoughts here is some of the hardware you are re-using (HDD and/or RAM) is bad. Installs are pretty stressing on those two parts and if any of them had a small error it can keep an install from going smoothly (if at all).

Also, looking online, depending on the version of the 8500gt (256 vs 512 MB RAM) you have, it will require either 300 or 350 watt PSU. There is a chance with either, your old PSU is just not cutting it. After all, Dell really isn't known to have quality PSU's.

Grandpa has a 750 Watt PSU, Hes a real gamer, playing every game, highest settings...

Me, I basicly have the same system, but I prefer playing my games slightly faster than 14fps...

Idk about the HD, but it doesn't have an OS,

Grandpa has a 750 Watt PSU, Hes a real gamer, playing every game, highest settings...

Me, I basicly have the same system, but I prefer playing my games slightly faster than 14fps...

Idk about the HD, but it doesn't have an OS,

If he has an 8600gt (9500Gt) then he isn't a "real gamer, playing every game, highest settings".

Back
Top Bottom