which part is bad?

ok read the edit i put in and also i was thinking about just going to a local computer shop and getting one so i can easily return it if its not the problem but ill call them tomorrow and see what they have.

You're going to pay an arm and a leg. Newegg is where most of us get our parts and their return policy is one of the best in the industry.

yeah thats where i got all my parts also im prolly gunna return this PSU and get a refund but i need that power supply ASAP i cant wait for shipping and all that hooplah so i was just gunna get a decent 500 watt PSU from a local shop that i was actually just in yesterday.

If you ever get a video card, 500W may be pushing it. For what you'll pay at the local shop, you can probably 2 day one from NewEgg that's higher quality.

yeah idk it depends on what they have and the prices like i said i gotta call em tomorrow and i was looking at getting a video card i was gunna get a ATI 5770 ive heard good things about them so i figured why not

Yeah, if you are getting a video card, I wouldn't suggest anything less than 600-650W. You also can't just go by the wattage.

yeah i had a problem with that on build im about to do for a friend he just ordered the parts today but origonally i was gunna put a 275 in it and it only had a 38 amp PSU so i put in a 42 amp but instead i had to go with a 5770 with his build instead because he also needed a keyboard mouse and monitor .

ahah found out its not my power supply something in my case was grounding my motherboard. i took it out of my case like a friend told me and it turned on no problem

Man. Ya know, the one time I don't suggest checking to make sure that the motherboard risers are on and that it's not touching the case is the time that that is actually the problem. I should have suggested it anyways.

I'm glad that you did figure it out.

But in all seriousness, you should still buy a better quality power supply.

One of the most important considerations in buying a new PSU is the number of Amps the power supply delivers on the +12V rail. This will be powering your video card(s), and if it can't deliver sufficient amperage, then wattage aside, it won't serve you well.

yeah i just now realized that my case came without any risers so that is where the short is coming from i looked at it and couldnt find anywhere where the short could be at but not having risers makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom