Need a new gaming mouse, what do you suggest?

if you are not looking for something expensive, the microsoft comfort mouse 3000 works great for gaming. it is a 4 button mouse with a tilt wheel.
4 buttons including the one on the scroll wheel

if you are not looking for something expensive, the microsoft comfort mouse 3000 works great for gaming. it is a 4 button mouse with a tilt wheel.
4 buttons including the one on the scroll wheel

I wouldn't suggest an optical mouse for gaming, any day.

The ones that I have used just haven't been too precise. I guess, as picky as some people are with mice I know that I can't stand optical for photoshop work, so most probably wouldn't want to use it for gaming either. I'm a laser mouse guy. The tracking is just better, from what I've used. When you pick up the mouse it stops tracking right away--optical ones, in my experience, track a little longer when you lift them up to reposition.

Also, no you don't sound like a jerk. I probably should have explained in the first place.

I guess it's all just "try it and if you like it, there you go" kind of things. Mice and keyboards are really difficult in that aspect.

It all depends on the sensor in question and what surface you pair it with. I owned a Steelseries Ikari Laser and Steelseries 5L mouse pad and it wouldn't track correctly. It would "staircase" when you move the mouse diagonally. My optical Deathadder handles it just fine, but so does my laser Imperator. There are good and bad laser sensors, same goes for optical. High-end mice are probably going to move towards laser completely because they're supposed to be better I guess.

I've been through plenty of mice from Logitech, Razer, and Steelseries. Most of them were laser and had good experiences with most of them. My latest mouse is actually a discontinued 1800 DPI Deathadder and it's just as precise, if not more precise than any of the laser mice I've owned.

Another thing to take into consideration is prediction/angle snapping. What prediction does is correct your movements when the mouse thinks you're trying to draw a straight line. Lots of mice out lately have options to adjust this or different firmwares. What's better is user preference, so having the option of enabling/disabling it is pretty nice.

The MX518 is an optical mouse and it performs as well and even better than laser mice in the same category/price range. Haven't had a problem with it, ever.

Like I said, it ends up being one of those "if ya like it, ya like it" things. If you HAVE an optical mouse and like it, use it. If you don't have a mouse and are asking for suggestions, then I am going to tell you to look into laser mice. Maybe it's just me, but....oh well. To each their own, I guess. It's more or less, you get what you pay for. Maybe I'm so biased because I've never had like a $50 or $60 optical mouse in my hands. Only cheaper stuff.

EDIT: ^^ I will make the MX518 an exception since I have used that (parents are using that now since I have been using mostly my laptop and have a wireless logitech nano) and actually liked it. It is a great optical mouse and I would recommend that. I researched quite a bit before I originally bought it. Most laser mice were really spend so I had to go optical at the time. TBH, the pricepoint of that mouse is what is most attractive. It might not be top tog, but in the bang-for-buck category, I think it takes the cake when NewEgg has rebates or good deals on it.

Another thing to consider though is that optical mice chew through batteries faster than laser mice, IIRC...so if you go wireless, keep that in mind. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that, but I remember going with a more expensive laser mouse to save on batteries when I got it for my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom