New laptop

phish123123

Beta member
I'm getting a new laptop for college and am having trouble deciding on which type to get, a PC or a Mac. I've been using Mac for about 4-5 years, but still use PC'S frequently in school. My budget is around $1,200 and like I said, it will be primarily for school, but I would also like to game a little, and record some music I've written. So what would you guys suggest?

You're not going to game on a notebook if you're going to carry it around college.

With Mac, you get impressive quality, a nice UI, usually good support, and sleek feel. With PC, you get more hardware for the money, some BSOD's (versus a spinning colorwheel) and more program support.

I'm sure you know these things already, but I'm just stating these for a basis of decision. Think about what you are really going to use it for.

If it is primarily for school, I'd consider getting a cheap netbook PC for 3-500 dollars and just save the rest for books and such. Expenses at school rack up very quickly if your not conservative and you do not want to be struggling while you also have the stress of education.

For example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220504

Its not going to work for gaming, but you won't be gaming while your waiting for class on the university's wifi connection. Even if your dorming there, spending 400 or so on a netbook still allows you money to get a decent desktop for gaming if necessary.

Fanboyism aside, I would opt for a Mac. It will be reliable and last throughout school. Carefree mostly so you can focus more on school and creative talents.

Depends on which games...

I do like the netbook idea, though there is no gaming on those.

For $1200 you'll be able to get a lot more for your money with a PC.

Most laptop these days have integrated GPU's in them that can now handle alot of higher end games.

Depends on which games...

I do like the netbook idea, though there is no gaming on those.

For $1200 you'll be able to get a lot more for your money with a PC.

I play games on my netbook. Not very intensive games, but t can put up good framerates in GLtron, flight simulator 9, FoFiX, Nexuiz, etc.

If I had a larger hard drive, I'd give some more advanced games a try. I imagine it could get through some console ports at bare minimum settings.

Laptops aren't just designed for gaming period. Don't waste your money on an Alienware...

Back
Top Bottom