Critique my $1000 build

fiendless

Solid State Member
79.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
118.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402 ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
109.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
179.98 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.395154 COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W ATX12V v2.31 SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
529.98 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.383391 GIGABYTE GV-R587UD-1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Also question: Do I need to buy a heatsink or will my mobo/processor come with one?

Also I already have a monitor, cd/dvd drives, keyboard and mouse.

Your processor will come with a stock heatsink, but it will run loud and hot. I'd highly recommend from experience the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

I'm not sure where you are coming up with that generalization, sir. All of the stock AMD HSFs that I have used have been just fine. In fact, the are far superior to Intel's stock fans, if you ask me. If he's really concerned about heat, there are better HSFs out there than the one you recommended for around the same price.

I'm not sure where you are coming up with that generalization, sir. All of the stock AMD HSFs that I have used have been just fine. In fact, the are far superior to Intel's stock fans, if you ask me. If he's really concerned about heat, there are better HSFs out there than the one you recommended for around the same price.

I was pointing out the well-known fact that stock heatsink/fan combos are loud and not a good choice for overclocking. This has been attested to by dozens of reviews on newegg even on this particular cpu model. I was attempting to be helpful by suggesting an alternative heatsink, and I don't see you making any recommendations of your own. Maybe you could be helpful and add insight to the topic at hand instead of purely derogatory next time.

He mentioned nothing of overclocking.

I've never encountered a recent HSF from AMD or Intel that is "loud".

Don't reference reviews on Newegg. That's not a credible source. I take no one's word on Newegg reviews. That's like getting your "news" from FoxNews.

I do not need to suggest an alternative HSF because he does not need one, like I mentioned. I simply said that if he did want to buy one (for whatever unknown reason), there are better systems out there for around the same price point.

Don't reference reviews on Newegg. That's not a credible source. I take no one's word on Newegg reviews. That's like getting your "news" from FoxNews.

Come again? Because Fox is the only news station that is on the other side?

OH please...that was a poor poor choice of words, my friend....

I dont plan on overclocking because I dont know enough about it to risk destroying my hardware, and my friend tried overclocking some of his parts and only saw a slight (5-7 fps) increase across the board in certain games. And when you're running at 55 FPS your eyes cant really tell when you go up to 60 FPS.

Everything looks pretty good and will work fine.

If you are not overclocking then you really wont need an aftermarket cooler. I have a 955 and the stock hsf is fine and not at all loud. I mean I can tell the difference between my cooler and stock yes but its not like its going to be so unbearable that you will want a more quiet one. Also if you do choose to get a new cooler later I would not get the AC freezer pro... I gave it a shot and within a day it was gone... :D Its not a bad cooler for light overclocks and is an improvement over stock cooling but for a few bucks more you can get a much better cooler.

Oh yeah and in regards to your last post LOL @ 55 FPS.... You are going to see a hell of alot more than that with that card :p:D:p

Well you are getting the black edition processor, which by chance happens to be AMD's special edition with an unlocked multiplier specifically for overclocking. It is a fine processor on it's own, but it certainly gives you headroom for overclocking if you plan to do so in the future.

Come again? Because Fox is the only news station that is on the other side?

OH please...that was a poor poor choice of words, my friend....

couldnt agree more. i think foxnews is the only place that tells you their source of information, that way if you dont believe it, you can look it up yourself. lol.

i know that was way off topic but i mean cmon wake up sheeple. lol

Back
Top Bottom