Looking to build CAD/3D desktop.

bjpasion

Beta member
Alright everyone. My name is Brad P. I'm new to this forum.

I'm trying to get input into a gaming/CAD rig. Currently, I'm using my M17x Alienware laptop as a main computer. It's nice however for CAD and dynamic analysis its a pain.

Specs on laptop:
Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz 8MB Cache
Dual 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4870 in CrossfireX
6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz
Samsung 256 GB SSD
Win 7 Ult.

I'm looking to Upgrade to a desktop with multi monitor set-up. Roughly a 5,000 - 5,500 dollar budget to accomplish this.

I'm looking to get opinions on monitors (2,3,4 etc) and a proper components that would work the best.

I need this for 3-D design/CAD work mostly. Gaming time would be low.

For graphics I was looking at Quadro FX card's. But I was advised to hold of til Q3 2010 for the Nvidia Tesla cards.

I'd like to have 2 SSDs. 2-4 7200 rpm drives for storage.

Still have no clue on case, mb, cpu, ram etc.

Thanks.

Brad P.

i7-980X Extreme Edition CPU
Noctua NH-U12P SE2 HSF
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Motherboard
Corsair DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600Mhz RAM
LG Black 24X DVD+R
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-650HX PSU
Cooler Mmaster HAF 932 Case
HIS H587F2G6DG Radeon HD 5870 2GB GPU

$2494 or $1733 with the i7-930 CPU.

You can replace the CPU with the i7-930 but the i7-980 listed above is a great CPU for a work station performing slightly less than two Xeon W5580's, (which cost about $3360!). So it's great value in that respect. Also you can go for more RAM if needed.

The graphics card supports up to 6 monitors too.

I'm not sure what the best SSD's are but you can add 4 Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM drives in the mix for $640.

Even the higher priced set-up will leave you enough left for some decent monitors.

the first one is a workstation card and the second could be used for both if you really wanted

Would that video card be able to handle 3D/CAD or is it primarly a gaming GPU?
My laptop has the Dual Ati Cards and it doesn't like the dynamic system analysis (designing drivetrain components)

Yea the HIS H587F2G6DG Radeon HD 5870 2GB is a gamer's card and the only card I know for Pro CAD work with multi-monitor support is the ATI FirePro V8800 and it's $1,359.99!!!

So i'll let someone else suggest a suitable card.

the first one is a workstation card and the second could be used for both if you really wanted

I realize the first one is a workstation card. However, I need something that will allow me to do dynamic system analysis effectivty. It literally take my laptop 3-4 hrs to do a minor fluid dynamic analysis. Adding in thermo analysis takes even longer(transfer of heat through a dynamic fluid system)

I'm trying to build an all-in-one PC in a sense. That it has the power to do decent size analysis and when I'm not doing that, playing some videos games.

I realize the first one is a workstation card. However, I need something that will allow me to do dynamic system analysis effectivty. It literally take my laptop 3-4 hrs to do a minor fluid dynamic analysis. Adding in thermo analysis takes even longer(transfer of heat through a dynamic fluid system)

I'm trying to build an all-in-one PC in a sense. That it has the power to do decent size analysis and when I'm not doing that, playing some videos games.

To do this kind of analysis your going to need a decent card. The system I recommended above with a ATI FirePro V8800 is about £3854. That still leaves you with $1646 left for some decent monitors but you would then have a set up that would crunch through analysis work like that much quicker and should be a great gamer too.

To be honest, that Laptop seems fine for 3D work. Least the polygonal 3D world anyway.

Since everything is rendered on the CPU, and typically, any gaming card can push a lot of polys now, that getting a Quadro card seems a waste.

A lot of 3D package rendering programs are also moving onto GPU workflow, and using CUDA, so renderings faster. However, these rendering engines so far do not work with ATI cards yet.
ATI equivalents should be around soon though I hope

Maybe you should consider two cards? One for gaming (maybe a 5770 or something lesser) and then a beefy one for CAD work?

To be honest, that Laptop seems fine for 3D work. Least the polygonal 3D world anyway.

Since everything is rendered on the CPU, and typically, any gaming card can push a lot of polys now, that getting a Quadro card seems a waste.

A lot of 3D package rendering programs are also moving onto GPU workflow, and using CUDA, so renderings faster. However, these rendering engines so far do not work with ATI cards yet.
ATI equivalents should be around soon though I hope

Sure it does the job. Slowly but works. While I like the portablity of the laptop, I'd much more prefer a larger screen/mulitple large screens. Makes everything easier to work on.
The Laptop works great with my video games(Cod, metro) but I'd like a bigger screen.
The Tesla seems to be a decent buy right now. And then I could get a 480 series card for gaming.

BP

Back
Top Bottom