Sound from PC to TV?

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
Can this be done? For a few years now, I have a DVI to HDMI cable connected from my PC to my HD TV. I always used PC speakers for the sound, since its connected via HDMI can the sound output go via TV?

DVI end is connected on my vid card and TV is connected via HDMI. I have HDMI output on my vid card as well, but im using that connection for my monitor.

A DVI to HDMI will not carry the sound, however you should be able to get a 3.5 to RCA cord and transfer the sound on whatever channel that might work not sure with your HDTV however.

A DVI to HDMI will not carry the sound.

Actually it will, but you have to use the oem adapter that came with the video card with a real hdmi cable. If you have an nVIDIA card, you have to plug in the s/pdif cable that it came with as well.

The driver should be installed already on vista or seven. If you are using xp and ati, you will need the realtek hdmi audio driver. Just google it.

It is capable of carrying up to a 7.1 channel output.

A DVI to HDMI will not carry the sound, however you should be able to get a 3.5 to RCA cord and transfer the sound on whatever channel that might work not sure with your HDTV however.

Yes, DVI can carry sound. It's identical to HDMI except for the connector. The only problem lies in if your video card supports sound or not. I know the new Radeon HD5XXX's do.

Yes, DVI can carry sound. It's identical to HDMI except for the connector. The only problem lies in if your video card supports sound or not. I know the new Radeon HD5XXX's do.

Any HDCP-compliant card can output HDMI audio, but I have never seen one able to do it through a generic DVI-HDMI cable. You need to use the supplied adapter for it to work.

Sorry, but foothead is correct. The DVI connection doesn't transfer audio, just video.

As ace777 suggested, you will need a 3.5 to RCA cord/adapter to transmit sounf from your PC to the TV.

Thanks fellaz

Here are my connectors; Two DVI and HDMI are taken. The other port is a DisplayPort (not sure how it works)

5870-leak-1.jpg

I googled "3.5 to RCA cord/adapter" and cant seem to find the one.. how would i connect it to my vidcard? a bit lost.. post a pic of it plz

Here is the cable that I currently use from TV to PC (HDMi to DVI) about 20 feet of it lol

ePdv7c-ucTAsf01fP0o4hw9Axi08YsK01z9OJ7PGoCYSgNBg4mIjXsxe9Y1J4aLdpbfqsz-wxQO8YzxascSj331M0ByjOI52iamHyKVKK9DZSmNa5W3IRLPtCtRgBgLrkgejDkVMcHW5xJBX_4zyZaTWDnQo_bWhn0PVmbzvl5RNvh6H2XZwm2V8ihK5HUZSrpag

If your TV has a DisplayPort, you can use that. It does both video and audio. If you can find a DisplyPort to HDMI adapter, you can use that to connect to your TV.

Back
Top Bottom